Review of A Struggle of the Heart

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of A Struggle of the Heart

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Struggle of the Heart" by Marie Fostino.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Annette Ferrari, a beautiful young woman who leaves her hometown to join her best friend, Lynn, in Oklahoma City, ends up being a victim of love as she passes through the bittersweet experience of her first true love, Aaron.

It was love at first sight for Annette and Aaron. Everything appeared cloudy when Aaron was being recruited for military service. But the distance couldn't put out their romantic flames as they resorted to writing letters assuring themselves of a continued relationship. After a series of military training, Aaron, who occasionally visited, revealed he had been stationed in Afghanistan. Though disheartened and heartbroken, Annette was still optimistic about their future. She continued receiving letters from Aaron until the letters stopped coming. She feared that the worst had happened — either Aaron stopped loving her, or he was dead. While in grief, she decided to pursue a career as a paramedic. Not long after she began her college journey, a new man named Tim, a fellow college student, showed up in her life. Years of friendship with Tim finally developed into love until that fateful day when her love life became complicated. Everything again became bittersweet as she was forced to make the hardest decision in her life.

Being a fan of the romance genre, I found the book not entirely remarkable. However, it possessed different elements to keep the reader fixated on the book until the last chapter. The author did an excellent job on the twist. The romance started very simply with some of the plot set in a romantic scenery. I considered some of the emotional plots excessive, as the main character wept too frequently. However, the ending was unpredictable, and Marie Fostino made sure to keep her readers interested in the flow of events. The author made the story easy to comprehend.

As mentioned earlier, the book wasn't spectacular all around. First, the editing was poor. The errors were so numerous and avoidable that I wondered if a professional editor had looked through the book. I would recommend another round of professional editing to fix the errors. The settings were not quite detailed enough for me. I would have loved to see some elements to break the boredom I experienced for a more significant part of the read. Elements like humor or sarcasm would have done justice to this. Finally, some characters were not captivating, as the character development was average. Nothing was striking about the characters to make me remember them after writing this review. For instance, Annette running to conclusions about the worst was predictable. Hence, I wasn't surprised when her love life became complicated. I felt that more could have been done to flesh out the story.

I give A Struggle of the Heart 2 out of 4 stars because the editing is unprofessionally done, and my negative points outweigh the positive. I recommend it to adult romance readers.

A Struggle of the Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

Love is a complex adventure; sometimes we have to walk several different miles before we gain the ultimate seal. I am particularly curious to know what happened to Aaron.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Thank you for the honest feedback.
Janel Espenya
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Janel Espenya »

Love is the most magical things that will happen to us that makes us happy and feel loved but love story sometimes don't have a happy ending until we meet our destiny. And I'm curious about Aaron and what happened to him.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

Seems like this book would make an enjoyable read. I wonder how Annette's love life turns out at the end. Thanks for a great review.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

I'd love to read more about the character of Anette Ferari. She seems interesting to me. Great review.
Sonam Lhamo

Post by Sonam Lhamo »

Love so beautiful always. Love is like a magic that we feel peace and happiness for someone who is very special in our life.

In some story there is happy ending and in some there is always sadness without love....
Alifia Zahwani 1
Currently Reading:

Post by Alifia Zahwani 1 »

This book appears to be one that would be enjoyable to read. I'm curious to see how Annette's love life plays out in the end.
Kimberly Mwaminya

Post by Kimberly Mwaminya »

l do enjoy reading love stories,i'm also curious about what's gonna happen next .Can't wait to see what's decision Annette is gonna make.l do enjoy the novel :D

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”