Review of Embracing the Tide

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 758
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Life at the Precipice by R.F. Vincent

Review of Embracing the Tide

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Embracing the Tide" by Janice Williams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Embracing the Tide by Janice Williams is a romance novel about finding love for a second time. Ericka and Amanda had been neighbors and best friends for years. They had each married a man named Bob, and they had nursed them through illnesses until they died. No longer having their husbands to care for, they feel jobless, lonesome, and with new identities that they did not ask for. Ericka is a popular romance author and is writing her latest book. She decides to take a road trip up the Pacific Coast highway. She has her manager arrange for several book signings and a keynote speech she will give on being a widow on her way to Seattle. At a restaurant in Crescent City, Ericka meets Liam and is instantly attracted to him. She calls Amanda, who cautions her to be careful since she does not know anything about him. Ericka also feels like any romance she could potentially get into would take away from the love she had for Bob. Does finding love after the death of a spouse make you unfaithful to them? What will their children's reactions be? Should their feelings be considered?

Janice Williams has done a fantastic job with the character development. The characters were realistic, and she accurately described the devastation of becoming a widow. As a widow, I could empathize with many of Ericka and Amanda's feelings. I remembered how emotional I got when our favorite song played, which enabled me to understand Ericka's emotions better. The demographic descriptions in the book were spot on. I could visualize Fritz, Ericka's miniature Yorkie, chasing seagulls on the beach. After reading the first two chapters, I was so drawn to the book I wanted to take a road trip of my own.

There are only a couple of negative aspects to this book. I would recommend that the author move the "Table of Contents" to the beginning of the book instead of it being at the end. I would also recommend that she have this book edited by a professional editor because I found over ten errors.

I decided to give this book 3 out of 4 stars because the positive aspects outweighed the negative aspects. Having the "Table of Contents" at the beginning is a personal preference and did not take away from my enjoyment of the book, so I did not consider it in the rating. The book did not receive a perfect score because of the number of mistakes it contained.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy romance novels. The main characters are elderly, so older readers will probably enjoy it more than younger readers. Widows will likely benefit most from this book because it explains what it means to be a widow and gives hope for a happy and healthy lifestyle after a spouse's death. Readers who are sensitive to prayers or borderline profanity may want to avoid this book.

Embracing the Tide
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Ifesi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifesi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ifesi »

This review sounds interesting. The author did a nice job in presenting the book to be interesting and easy to understand.Thanks for an honest and wonderful review. Looking forward to reading this book.
Matire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matire.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Matire »

I feel drawn to the book, going by your review even as a young reader. I have a really soft spot for romance books so I might check it out.
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by peter-turo »

I must commend the author for considering the life, challenges encountered and more importantly the hope offered. I do feel its not easy to love again after a loss of patner. Children also might not agree with the decisions that could be made.
Thumbs up to the reviewer.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

This is a thorough, insightful review. I hope this book makes an interesting read.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

peter-turo wrote: 20 Apr 2022, 11:57 I must commend the author for considering the life, challenges encountered and more importantly the hope offered. I do feel its not easy to love again after a loss of patner. Children also might not agree with the decisions that could be made.
Thumbs up to the reviewer.
I agree with you. The thematic content of this book is striking.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

It's wonderful to find love for the second time. I enjoyed reading your review.
Itz Savaga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

This book seems interesting and captivating and I also love romantic novels, I would love to read this book. Great review.
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

I love reading about Romance, but reading this review kept taking my mind to my mom, who lost her husband in 2016. This book sounds like something she would enjoy and connect with, and I will recommend it. Thank you for the excellent review

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”