Review of My Favorite Girlfriend

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review of My Favorite Girlfriend

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Favorite Girlfriend" by Paul Sturm.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Paul has a penchant for unattainable women who have it all—beauty, intelligence, and, unfortunately, the ability to snuff out his dreams with one look. As early as Paul could remember, nothing motivated him like the possibility of being noticed by these types of girls. And he learned quickly that most of his attempts were futile—simply pining for their attention wasn’t getting him anywhere. Paul needed to up the ante. That’s when he discovered basketball and his natural athleticism that, if channeled effectively, could work in his favor. Perhaps if he had excelled at the game on the court, he could score some points off the court as well. Maybe it would stir up lusty stares instead of the usual eye rolls.

Would Paul receive the warm reception he desperately sought, or would he continue to strike out? This wildly entertaining book will give readers all the answers.

In My Favorite Girlfriend by Paul Sturm, the author candidly shares the trials and tribulations of his experiences with the opposite sex. The book follows a linear path from kindergarten in New York to his youth and teenage years in Park Ridge, New Jersey. Not only does Paul reflect on his awkward encounters with females, but he also writes about his time playing basketball on his school's team.

The best part of the book was Paul’s knack for storytelling. I happily tore through the pages, endlessly entertained by his recollections. I found it endearing that he had a self-deprecating sense of humor. Many of his memories involved being riled by his teammates for his size (mainly lack of girth), being described as “funny-looking” by a female, and calling his appearance “underwhelming.” The author seemed to take all the ridicule in stride, relying on his quick wit and sense of humor to get him through. He proved that you miss out on all the fun if you take yourself too seriously.

While there were many things to love about My Favorite Girlfriend, there was one thing, in particular, I found off-putting—the in-depth rundown of all the basketball games. I love that the author had a hobby beyond chasing skirts, but reading the details and play-by-play of every moment in the games was daunting, and I found my interest waning. Maybe this was just a matter of preference but had he scaled back on some of the sporting commentaries, it could have been even better.

As far as the editing was concerned, I was impressed! I found zero issues with spelling and grammar; the book was exceptionally edited. That said, I have chosen to give the memoir a rating of three out of four stars. While I enjoyed the stories about Paul’s adventures (and misadventures) with women, I deducted one star due to unnecessary commentary.

For lovers of memoirs with an emphasis on sports and teenage debauchery, I would recommend this book. I found Paul’s stories to be giggle-inducing and surprisingly relatable, so if you have a sense of humor, this book is for you. On the contrary, readers who aren’t interested in sports might want to skip this.

My Favorite Girlfriend
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Watumbe Phillip
Favorite Book: The Lukin Longevity System
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Watumbe Phillip »

Very true that being very serious about own business when you are interested in a girl, makes her to ignore you as well even when she is interested in you due pretention. You end up loosing your best choice.
Emah22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emah22.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Emah22 »

I'm not interested in sports, so I won't enjoy reading this. But people who are interested in sports,would enjoy reading this.
Thanks for you honest review.
Lilian Nyabiage
Currently Reading: The Three Little Monsters and the Cranky King
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Lilian Nyabiage »

I am definitely going to put this on my shelves cause I love sports and this book is a match for me.
Siseko Mdodolo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Siseko Mdodolo »

Sounding interesting hearing this introduction, just wondering how long it took him to quit chasing the skirts
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

Paul seems to be a character I would like to read about. Great book.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

Watumbe Phillip wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 08:58 Very true that being very serious about own business when you are interested in a girl, makes her to ignore you as well even when she is interested in you due pretention. You end up loosing your best choice.
I couldn't agree less.
Martha Kimathi

Post by Martha Kimathi »

Sometimes we just have to go us more on ourselves rather than what others think of us.Paul's view about women's attention is unnecessary and in the end,alot of time and attention ends up being wasted .
Mothusi John

Post by Mothusi John »

Paul seems to be a character just by Reading introduction I got interested in reading more of it and I rembered this other movie basketball and Love
Junior Gesuka 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Junior Gesuka 1 »

One thing that is apparent throughout the book is that Paul Sturm had a great time writing “My Favorite Girlfriend” and he is a wonderful storyteller. His enthusiasm and excitement in the story’s telling were captivating. The entire story is an upbeat, hilarious adventure. Even his less than fruitful endeavors are held in high esteem as irreplaceable events that shaped him into the person he is today. His wit shines through every page, and I was impressed by his vivid recollections of the past.

My Favorite Girlfriend by Paul Sturm is an adventurous and lively story that all ages will enjoy.
CharlesC+Esq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesc-esq.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CharlesC+Esq »

Reading the reviews, seems Paul is getting pummelled from all sides for want of the fruits-of-the-looms; well, in the first place he is guy, a hot-blooded man and his is understandably an expected behaviour because he has hormones stoking up the fire in his groins.

Most males go through a sexual prowess to see who beds the most number of chicks and prove to be the Alfa male, been there seen it all.

Rather than looking at it from a moral point of view, look at the determination he went to attain a goal, for surely soon as he couldn't secure the attention of his prey, in this case unattainable ladies, he started to sharpen his basketball skills just so perchance he would score a few more points in his favour and get some action.

I reckon it'd go well with young males and surprisingly, those girls who imagine themselves like being one of the girls in the story and crave to have hordes of guys lusting after them, which sort of improves their self-esteem. To them, beauty is like dangling a carrot in front of a harnessed donkey; playing to be unattainable just so that more guys can make attempts, and the interpretation is that to attract more market. Kids!
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

The Review was very well written and, although I am not a fan of sport's reading at all, the way you described his recollections and humour, does interest me quite a lot! I am going to add this book to my shelves and give it a try. It sounds like a lot of laughs waiting to happen!
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

This sounds exactly like a book that I would love to read with my feet kicked up and a nice snack! Great review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”