Review of A Summer Affair

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinemezu Okafor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Review of A Summer Affair

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Summer Affair" by Jeni Rae d.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A week before their wedding, Jackson plans a bachelor party with his friends. His to-be bride, Breanna, also plans a bachelorette weekend for her friends. They do this in the form of a game, and one of the rules is that their choice of venue for the individual parties will be a secret and that whatever happens there will not be discussed. During the bachelorette weekend, Breanna's best friend, Leilani, meets with a guy, Liam, who sweeps her off her feet. She gives into her desire and satisfies her sexual fantasy with him. After the party, she realizes that he had not given her his phone number but that of a resort, and she vows never to forgive him. Meanwhile, Liam hoping not to see Leilani ever again, gives her the number of his resort. However, it seems fate has a different plan for both of them, and this plan of fate is unveiled on the wedding day of Jackson and Breanna.

A Summer Affair by Jeni Rae D tells the story of Liam and Leilani's romantic life. Liam becomes a playboy after a terrible event nine years ago that made him relocate with his friends. When he meets Leilani, he attempts to heal, but it seems this attempt will be cut off by the resurrection of his past. That which he has carefully run away from confronts him again, and it is either he faces it or risks being lonely and heartbroken for the rest of his life.

There are a few positive aspects of the book. First, the language is simple. Second, the author did a nice job of describing a story rather than telling one, making the reader feel the emotions of the characters. Also, the author taught that good works would be rewarded, and evils would be punished no matter how long it may take. This contrast is exemplified by Liam's grandfather, who willed all his properties to his hardworking grandson, Liam, leaving his other family with nothing and also keeping evidence against them that will lead to their incarceration. Also, the author showed that time could only heal the wounds of the past when we are ready to allow ourselves to go through the healing process. This can be seen in Liam, who allowed himself to be healed after he met Leilani.

There are also a few negatives in the book. First, the author's use of suspense is poor. Even when she tried to employ it, it still did not work successfully. The author had attempted to use it at the point where Liam refused to talk about what his ex did to him to have made him change to a playboy. When he eventually reveals it, the reason is too insignificant to have been used to create suspense. Secondly, I think the author exaggerated the whole sex incident. Understandably, sex is pleasurable, but the manner with which the author magnified it makes it too good to be true.

I identified only a few errors in the book. This shows that the book was professionally edited. I would have given the book the highest rating, but for the negatives identified above, I will be giving the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to all lovers of romance and fantasy. I would like to warn that the book contains high sexual content and may not be pleasurable to people who do not like this.

A Summer Affair
View: on Bookshelves
Sheryl Akinyi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sheryl Akinyi »

The book is interesting and recommended to those who love romance and fantasy though i thought that the book will talk about Jackson and breanna and the story was focused on Leilani and Liam which i did not expect though i loved it
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

"Second, the author did a nice job of describing a story rather than telling one, making the reader feel the emotions of the characters."
I definitely look for this in books I want to read, but I think the negatives you highlighted will keep me away from this one. Thank you for the thorough review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Radhika Nair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-nair.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Radhika Nair »

I enjoy reading commentary on romance stories more than reading romance itself, and one reason for that is that I agree with regarding the point of triviality that often creeps into such stories. Your review was very fun to read. Thank you for your smart observations and an entertaining review!
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

From my experience this book is going to be interesting. Nice review
queen anirah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queen-anirah.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by queen anirah »

This looks like an interesting romance novel. Liam and Leilani seem like an interesting combo seeing that Liam is a playboy from your review. I hope things work out for Leilani.
Sarmeet Singh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Sarmeet Singh »

Yes there are few errors but it's interesting to read from my experience this book will be on top for the readers if they understand the story line.
CharlesC+Esq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesc-esq.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CharlesC+Esq »

Thanks for the review for now I can expect what has been espoused. The front.cover speaks for itself, abandoned summer beach-wear can only mean somebody is skin-dipping.
However, the story starts out as if Jackson and Breanna are the main characters, but from the review it sounds as if Liam and Leilani take the limelight. For a moment while reading the review I thought Jackson faked his name and blind-dated and made Leilani pregnant s Liam during the bachelor's party obviously to satisfy some raging hormones on both sides, and as the suspense comes true, they meet again at Jackson's wedding only for Leilani to find out that Liam is actually Jackson her best friend's groom.
I hope I'm not far from the truth, so I might as well read the book and find out.
Last edited by CharlesC+Esq on 14 Sep 2022, 16:08, edited 2 times in total.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

This sounds like an interesting and thrilling read. The idea of the suspense not coming through entirely, is a bit off-putting, but the summary and good points mentioned in the Review, pulled me in enough to give this book a read. I love the name of the book and that definitely pulled me in first - the cover is a close second!
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thank you for your review. I do love a good romance book that’s an easy read. The style of writing is definitely appealing along with the storyline. Plus the professional editing is definitely a positive. Another one to add to the bookshelf.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

As a huge fan of romance novels I believe that I would love this book! I especially enjoy a romance with a chase. I hope this book will be as enjoyable as it sounds.
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Post by Michael Valentine »

I would love to read this book to find out what happened when Liam and Leilani met again. This seems like an intriguing story, and it also has a beautiful storyline. Thank you for this beautiful review.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

I love romance novels, and I could tell from the title of this one that it would be simply amazing. I would love to see what unravels at the wedding. Thank you for the informative and beautiful review.
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

The storyline seems interesting. I honestly wonder why Liam gave out the wrong number. Do they reunite? I would love to find out. Thanks for such a beautiful review.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

The title of this book seems interesting, and the storyline is intriguing. I would definitely love to read this to find out how the story ended. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”