Review of Choices

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Review of Choices

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Choices" by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Uzoma, the only child of her parents, goes to Sweden to study for her master's degree. While there, amid severe loneliness and discrimination, she meets Stefan, a young Swede. They begin their relationship with a very rocky start but soon develop into something more. Trying to sustain their relationship, they work hard to weather the storms that hit them. From discriminating friends to overprotective parents and then to jilted men, they hold on strongly to each other. However, when bad news reaches her from Nigeria, and the alarming implications are revealed, she must make a very hard choice.

Written by a Nigerian in diaspora, I think the author did a very good job in capturing what it is like for Nigerians who live or visit western countries in this book. I also liked the clear contrast between African Culture and Western culture, which was depicted throughout the book. For instance, the difference in dining styles, then the clothing styles and even dating. Stefan could easily present his girlfriend to his parents, while Uzoma was very anxious about her relatives finding out about them. Also, the difference in parent-child relationships. Stefan is clearly very independent of his parents, while Uzoma is still very much attached to her parents and home.

I did dislike a few things about this book, though. Firstly, Uzoma seemed at odds with the character she portrayed. She is very vocal about her disdain for racism but is still very racist. For instance, when she meets Stefan, she is really rude to him and insults him based on his colour. Again on page 24, she states that "The few non-black men that indicated an interest in her in the last year wanted her for her body. She could easily tell from their lustful looks, sizing her up." She makes similar assumptions on the same page based only on a man's colour. Also, it was a bit hard to relate to both characters, Stefan with his fairytale-like tendencies and then Uzoma's decisions. Finally, the flow of the book was a bit stilted at some points, and it got boring.

I would give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I did not rate it lower because, despite the few things I disliked, it still is a good book to read.

I would recommend this book to any Nigerian considering living in a western country. I'd also recommend it to anyone who is curious about Nigerian cultures, the Igbos in particular.

Choices
View: on Bookshelves
Israel10
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

The author did a very good job in capturing what it is like for Nigerians who live or visit western countries in this book. Definitely can't wait to read this book. Great review.
Chuks Ogechukwu Bianca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chuks-ogechukwu-bianca.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Chuks Ogechukwu Bianca »

Reading this book sounds like quite the ride. Sounds like an amazing book written by a Nigerian for Nigerians. Congrats on a great review
Ohmy Book
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohmy-book.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Ohmy Book »

I appreciate how you highlighted the author's ability to capture the experience of Nigerians in Western countries, shedding light on the contrast between African and Western cultures. The portrayal of cultural differences in dining, clothing, and relationships adds depth to the narrative, making it a compelling read.

Your honesty in pointing out the inconsistencies in Uzoma's character and your critique of the book's flow is much appreciated. Constructive feedback is essential for authors and readers alike, and your review offers both praise and areas for improvement.

Your 3 out of 4 star rating reflects a fair assessment, considering the strengths and weaknesses you observed in the book. Your recommendation to Nigerians considering life in a Western country and those curious about Nigerian cultures is invaluable in guiding potential readers.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and insights. Your review will undoubtedly assist other readers in making informed choices and provide valuable feedback to the author.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”