Review of The Fifie

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Review of The Fifie

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fifie" by Marco Collina.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fifie by Marco Collina is a fictional story set in Scotland about Maureen and Marcas, a passionate young man working for his uncle. It talks about how they fall in love. This love then changes everything in their lives after the occurrence of some supernatural circumstances as they meet again in their next life, but this time around, as Mark and Marla.

Unfortunately, they are both held back by their newfound relationships in this new life. Mark finds himself married to a woman named Molly, who he believes he is no longer in love with, and they also have a son who doesn't like the waters like his father does. Marla, on the other hand, is now a widow, recovering from a strange marriage she regretted. A union without any form of intimacy in which her husband becomes a watchdog, guarding her against men. In this new life, Mark and Marla still feel like they've known each other and feel a strong attraction which makes them continue to see each other against all odds, even though Marla will later go in search of her previous life. Though he understands that the circumstances that led to their current situation are very supernatural and not of their making, Mark finds himself downcast, wondering about the essence of life as he cannot stop thinking about Marla.

This remarkable story has many wonderful themes like love, loneliness, mercy, appreciation, infidelity, and many others, and this is one thing I appreciate about it. Love and its power which is the main theme of the novel is immediately portrayed through the story of Marcas and Maureen and Mark and Molly. Even Greg's respect for his deceased wife points strongly to a theme of love, even after life. The effect of circumstances beyond us on our romantic relationships is also highlighted in the story of Mark and Marla. Even though Mark knows that the woman he loves and loved was Marla, he finds himself stuck with Molly, a marriage he regrets. In our world today, many people in marriages are fully aware that they are not married to the people they truly love, and they find themselves in a marital trap. This also gives birth to another theme of the consequence of going against love.

The theme of loneliness comes through Marcas' early life before he met Maureen, as he is portrayed as a lonely young man who only cares about sailing the seas. The theme of mercy and appreciation is shown through Greg, who becomes a loyal captain after Marcas helped him and his wife when they were in need. Maureen and her father also show mercy to Greg.

The book has other positive aspects, and I particularly loved how it was written in simple English because, apart from a few naval terms, it could be read without many breaks to look up words in the dictionary. There was almost no error in the book, showing that the author and the editors thoroughly scrutinized it to help the reader. I also liked the way the story was crafted. A mixing of realism and the supernatural because even though we know the circumstances that moved Marcas and Maureen to their new life are supernatural, we are aware that it can happen in our earthly life in many fundamental ways. Another theme in this work that I would personally wish to point out is the importance of physical intimacy in relationships. Even though the persons who brought this theme to life in this work were doing it illegally because Mark was already married to Molly before his sexual escapades with Marla, the fact that Marla wrote in her diary that her erstwhile husband starved her of intimacy shows the importance of this theme.

The book had no negative aspects at all, which, as I mentioned earlier, is a testament to professional and dedicated editing because it is not easy to read a book of more than a hundred pages that has just one error.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I think it is a wonderful one. It is a story portraying love and its harsh reality. I recommend it to everyone out there that believes in love and people who love beautiful literature. History lovers will also enjoy this story because of the beautiful settings, which stretch from Scotland to America and even France.

The Fifie
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

A story of love, past life, supernatural elements and many other themes. I like that all four characters name start from M, and Greg is the only one who stands out. Thank you for the detailed review!
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Riya Sarkar »

Mark and Marla's story sounds worth reading. The promise of undying romance is enough to make me pick this up, without the supernatural element. But with the supernatural element, this book is simply too tempting to pass on.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thanks for the detailed review. Stories of love between to souls withstanding time and different lives is always a good read. The fact that the author deals with a lot of themes around the human condition as well is appealing.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

I relate a lot to the themes you mentioned and I'm really interested to see how the relationship between Mark and Marla evolves throughout the story. Thorough review, great job.
it is what it is ....
Okorji98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

The Fifie by Marco Collina is a fictional story set in Scotland about Maureen and Marcas, And how they fall in love. Great review.
Sarah tianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tianna.html
Latest Review: Reverse Chronic Kidney Disease by Yaw A. Boateng

Post by Sarah tianna »

I think this book is more of a love story. This is not my kind of book, but the review intrigued me. I will give it a try. Kudos.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Very intriguing premise; a love story with a supernatural angle. Loved reading the review! Looking forward to reading the book.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Billboards Across America by D.J. Parsons

Post by Kendal Low »

This sounds like a really interesting and hopeful book. I am a big fan of the idea of reincarnation and would love to give this a try. Fantastic review.
Sarah tianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tianna.html
Latest Review: Reverse Chronic Kidney Disease by Yaw A. Boateng

Post by Sarah tianna »

I am really a fan of romantic books. Romantic books are quite engaging. The book cover is another amazing feature. I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Edigbo B Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edigbo-b-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Edigbo B Emmanuel »

Riya Sarkar wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 12:49 Mark and Marla's story sounds worth reading. The promise of undying romance is enough to make me pick this up, without the supernatural element. But with the supernatural element, this book is simply too tempting to pass on.

I couldn't agree any better. I found it intriguing and amazing at the same time. I'll recommend this book to anyone willing to explore beliefs beyond the realm of the ordinary. Nice review.
NadiaBoateng
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadiaboateng.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by NadiaBoateng »

I love the the fact that the book contains some strong themes like love mercy and forgiveness. I wonder how Mark and Marla will find themselves entangled to one another in this new life.
Goodness Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-azuka.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Azuka »

With this kind of review, it is correct to say that this book is a full package of fascinating themes and relevant topics. I also appreciate the emphasis on the the importance of physical intimacy in relationships. It's a nice review. Congratulations on winning BOTD.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

This book seems to have blended all my favorite themes: romance, history, and a little of the supernatural. Sign me up!
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 80147
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 772%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book of the day BOTD is romantic tale back in the 19th century in Scotland a couple who's love was upended after they got lost at the sea in the epic adventure the theme of love,loneliness, mercy,appreciation, infidelity and so forth is well shared in this story making the book so interesting the book was well written and reviewed I will always recommend it to those who love romantic tale

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”