Review of The Silent Road

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Review of The Silent Road

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Silent Road" by S.N. McKibben.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Silent Road by S. N. McKibben follows a truck driver by the name of Dan. He is desperate to make enough money to pay for his daughter's college tuition. His plan falls apart when he is pulled over and given a large ticket because he does not have a license. After failing the written test due to the inability to read, Dan is paired up with another driver. This driver is an openly gay man, Jake, and Dan is outraged that he has to drive with him because Dan is homophobic. However, as Dan spends time with Jake, he can not help but start to fantasize about Jake. Dan can not contain his curiosity even though he tells himself that he is completely straight.

My favorite part of the book was Jake's character. He is a man who faced many struggles in life. At points, it is clear that Jake felt alone because he was discriminated against due to his sexuality. I feel as though his struggles were portrayed in a realistic manner and brought light to some of the issues faced by those who are different in some way. I also liked how Jake remained upbeat despite the hardships that he faced each day.

The part of the book I liked least was how the romance developed. I feel as though Dan and Jake's relationship felt forced. Dan was extremely homophobic at the beginning of the book, and to have such a sudden switch seemed like it happened too quickly. I think if the time period had been longer than a few days, it might have been more realistic.

I only noticed a few minor errors throughout the book. I believe that it was professionally edited.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I am taking off 2 stars because the main plot of the developing romance between Dan and Jake felt forced and as though it happened too quickly. This book contains strong language, including homophobic slurs and cursing. Readers that are offended by such language should avoid this book. It also has explicit sex scenes, so it is not suitable for those under eighteen. Any readers that are uncomfortable with homosexual relationships should avoid this book. However, if you are looking for a novel that features a developing relationship between a gay man and a man who believes that he is completely straight, you may like this book.

The Silent Road
View: on Bookshelves
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

I really dislike when the romance doesn't feel like a natural progression and feels forced like you said. I'm also hugely against homophobia of any kind so I don't think this book would be a good fit for me. Really well done on a fantastic review!
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

Kendal Low wrote: 26 Oct 2022, 04:02 I really dislike when the romance doesn't feel like a natural progression and feels forced like you said. I'm also hugely against homophobia of any kind so I don't think this book would be a good fit for me. Really well done on a fantastic review!
Thank you for stopping by to read my review! This book is definitely not for everyone.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”