Review of Lost in Love: You vs Them

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Review of Lost in Love: You vs Them

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lost in Love: You vs Them" by LaToyia McCray.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Lost in Love: You vs Them by LaToyia McCray follows the character of Layla. The book follows Layla as she grows from a teenager into her twenties and focuses on her relationship with her high school sweetheart Jeremy. Jeremy dreams of becoming a rap star and making it big. Layla is supportive of his dream, and she moves across the country to be with him in California. However, will fame change Jeremy as he begins to make it as a rapper? Will Layla and Jeremy's love story be able to survive the ups and downs of fame and the exposure that comes with it?

My favorite part of this book was the realism of Layla and Jeremy's relationship. McCray did not shy away from depicting the issues that come with newfound fame. Jeremy had to deal with women throwing themselves at him all the time. He was constantly dealing with the temptation of cheating on Layla. Layla also had to deal with the isolation of moving away from her family and friends. These issues added a lot of depth to the relationship and made the book more interesting.

Unfortunately, this book contained a significant number of grammatical errors. It would benefit greatly from a few more rounds of editing. There were also a lot of issues with formatting. There was dialogue from multiple characters that was all in the same block of text; it made following the flow of the conversation a bit tricky.

The flow of the book was also a bit all over the place. There were large time skips that would be explained by a sentence or two. It made the book feel very choppy because it was simply telling the reader what was happening as opposed to showing through the character's actions. The time jumps were my least favorite part of the book.

I rate this book 2 out of 5 stars. The biggest reason for the rating is the number of grammatical and formatting issues. They made reading the book tricky at times and detracted from my overall experience. I enjoyed the plot of the book, and if it were to receive more editing, I would have rated it much higher. In its current state, I would recommend it to readers who are willing to look past grammatical issues and simply want to read about an interesting relationship. It does have strong language, so readers should consider that as well.

Lost in Love: You vs Them
View: on Bookshelves
Zelliana
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zelliana »

I'll give this 3/5 because tah storyline is good but it said it has numerous grammatical incorrects and the punctuation marks. It would be confusing to the readers to read and it will be not much entertaining.
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

My favorite part of this book was the realism of Layla and Jeremy's relationship. McCray did not shy away from depicting the issues that come with newfound fame. Great book.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

It seems the book is not enjoyable to read. But the relationship between Jeremy and Layla seems strong and attractive to read. Maybe I wanna give it a try. Thanks for your honest review!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”