Review of Earth's Touch

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Review of Earth's Touch

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Earth's Touch" by Ivy Jack.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

She opened her eyes and felt the cold air and a slight breeze on her skin, sensations she shouldn't feel if she were in her bed. The feel of the dry leaves under her feet was enough for her to know she was far away from the castle she lived. She did sleepwalk in the past, but she had never ventured outside the castle's walls. Someone must have lulled her to the forest. Who was it, and what did they want?

Earth's Touch by Ivy Jack is a fantasy romance novel set in a world of magic. The story is premised on the age-long battle between good and evil, and the author explores this concept through characters with magical abilities to control the elements: earth, fire, air, water, and a fifth element. As the first book in the series, Earth's Touch is a teaser narrated through the first-person perspective of Avani and Flint.

Avani embodies qualities that I appreciate in a fictional character. She is self-assured, competent, and assertive. Her wit and courage saw her through many challenging situations, and I love how she mostly employed logic to solve most of her problems. She understandably needed help sometimes, but the fact that she wasn't a constant damsel in distress is endearing.

Earth's Touch is set in the era of sword-wielding warriors and horse-drawn carriages, but some dialogues read like a scene out of a novel set in the twenty-first century. I really wasn't expecting to see words like sh*t and ass—in the context they were used—in a novel set in the time of sovereign kings. As a result, the words seemed alien against the novel's backdrop. Again, most of the unsavory language used in the story felt inauthentic and unnecessary.

I understand that Avani is Flint and his brothers' fated mate, and they need to be connected for her powers to function optimally. Still, I think the level of eroticism in the novel could use some improvement. Ivy relied so heavily on lust to portray their love that it overshadowed the book's main plot. Besides a few instances, there was barely any interaction between Avani and Flint without salacious undertones and acts. Lust is not love; hence, I hope the author balances the book's main plot and the main characters' feelings in the next book. Considering that this is the first book in the "Her Elementals" series, I look forward to seeing a more tasteful depiction of love and romance in subsequent installments.

The book's premise is promising, but its wanton eroticism outshines the plot. Therefore, my rating is 3 out of 5 stars. The editing is impeccable, but the execution could be better.

Readers with a penchant for fantasy and erotic romance novels with dominant female characters will find the story worthwhile. However, it's heavy on gore and eroticism, making it unsuitable for sensitive and younger readers.

Earth's Touch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

A romance book that is planted in the time of sovereign kings. I would like to know how the first character mentioned was moved outside without her conscience, but anything can happen since it's a world of magic. The book is interesting but contains a few flaws. I hope the author would use this review to make some changes. Nice review.
Grace Elkana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

Oh wow! I like the premise of this novel. How does someone sleep in a castle and wake up in the forest. That's a mystery that I'd love to see unraveled.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Seems and sounds interesting! Thanks for the awesome review.
Geraldokeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geraldokeke.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Geraldokeke »

Avani seems like an interesting character to relate to and I would love to learn more about her mystic world. Thanks for your honest review.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

Great review - your writing is lovely! I am going to pass on the book based on your recommendation. So much to read, so little time! But seriously, your opening paragraph is just ... chef's kiss.
G-eanne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by G-eanne »

It's always the tiny details that makes a book interesting..
Dry leaves under her feet
Cold air and breeze under her skin..
It's something that most of us relate to and in some sense of way get to experience in our minds as we read through..
That's what a keen reader looks for to be enticed to go to the next chapter and the next till the end and still want more
Sue Kirega
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sue Kirega »

Sounds intriguing. I would love to see the demonstration of love in a magical world.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

Since the book is a romance book, the level of eroticism wouldn't really bother me. The storyline is engaging and the characters are relatable. I look forward to reading this book. Well done.
Lazarus Kariuki
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lazarus-kariuki.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Lazarus Kariuki »

I like this review becuase it has summarised the story so well. It has in addition whetted my appetite for this book and I look forward to laying my hands on it. The recommendation given is explicit and suitable audience will find this novel easily.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

Wow! What an exceptional novel I truly complement the author for such a fantastic job. I mean adding romance and mystery to this book is fascinating. Great work!
Philomena Osy-Nnamani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philomena-chidiebere.html
Latest Review: Binge by Anne Pfeffer

Post by Philomena Osy-Nnamani »

I'd love to read this :D
Latest Review: Binge by Anne Pfeffer
Philomena Osy-Nnamani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philomena-chidiebere.html