Review of Broken Boys Beyond Friendships

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review of Broken Boys Beyond Friendships

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Broken Boys Beyond Friendships" by Dak Kopec.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Broken Boys Beyond Friendships by Dak Kopek is an emotionally charged novel about a fifty-three-year-old man reliving his past regrets. A longtime friend asked to visit Blake Roberts to ask for a critical favor. Blake agrees but is apprehensive as he presses the buzzer to open the gate to his driveway. He had not seen Ivy Vandermark for years, although she was his best friend's sister. Ivy had come to ask Blake if her daughter could come and stay with him and interview him for a book she wanted to write to tell Blake's story. There were things in Blake's past that hurt many people, especially the Vandermark family. His best friend, Logan Vandermark's family, had taken Blake in and treated him like one of their own, and now Jillian, Ivy's daughter, wanted to write his story. Blake questioned if he should bring it all up again. The entire Vandermark family had risked everything to help Blake during his worst times, so he finally agreed, and a couple of months later, Jillian arrived.

As Blake relived his past, all the shame, agony, and hurt returned to the surface. Jillian wasn't judgemental, and Blake and Jillian formed a bond. They laughed together at some memories, and when Blake became emotional, he saw tears running down Jillian's face. What about Blake's life made Jillian want to tell his story? Why was Blake willing to relive his painful past for Jillian, someone he had never met before? The reason will shock you.

This captivating novel by Dak Kopek pulls at the deepest emotions of the reader. Some events in Blake's life shocked me. I laughed at many of Blake's and Logan's antics in high school and beyond, and I cried when the emotions overwhelmed me. Kopek's writing style was simple to follow, and he has a knack for making the reader feel like they are part of the story. That is the aspect of this book I liked best. The characters became real, and Blake's story broke my heart. I will remember this book for a long time.

There were a few things I didn't like about the book. It is in the romance genre, which I always enjoy reading, but it isn't the classic romance I am used to. However, the reader quickly gets pulled into the story and feels compassion for the characters. My least favorite characters were Eden and Diebold, Blake's agent. I can't say I liked the way they treated Blake and Dillion. I can't say more without revealing a spoiler.

The editing was professional, as I only found a few errors. The storyline was enthralling, and the characters were perfect for their roles. I found myself engrossed in the emotions of the book and surprised by a bombshell ending I would never have expected. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and will watch for other books by Dak Kopek. I am rating this book 5 out of 5 stars for all the reasons just stated. Although there was a lull, as mentioned above, I didn't find any reason to deduct a star.

I recommend this book to mature readers over the age of eighteen because there is some profanity and strong sexual innuendos. The book may be offensive to some readers of various religious affiliations.

Broken Boys Beyond Friendships
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

A romance book that talks about how Blake experienced a hurtful past and how he and Jillian become best friends. The author's writing style was simple and the characters become real. I am glad you enjoyed reading the book. Nice review.
Grace Elkana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Post by Grace Elkana »

Blake looks like a man who's been through a lot. I understand why he was hesitant about someone writing his story. Not everyone can afford to relive painful past experiences.
Jeanel Beukes
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jeanel Beukes »

Even though Blake's past hurts him, it is good to talk about it to someone that doesn't know you from the start, it is always beter to talk to someone els instead of friends that knows about your past, they can't be judged for the things they did wrong, he lived through the pain for may years, sometime it is beter to let it all out, there are some people that can relate to the pain he went through.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Ogunkoya Mayowa wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 01:32 A romance book that talks about how Blake experienced a hurtful past and how he and Jillian become best friends. The author's writing style was simple and the characters become real. I am glad you enjoyed reading the book. Nice review.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Grace Elkana wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 05:09 Blake looks like a man who's been through a lot. I understand why he was hesitant about someone writing his story. Not everyone can afford to relive painful past experiences.
That is so true! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Fardeen Ahmad 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fardeen Ahmad 1 »

Romance book that talks about how Blake experienced a hurtful past and how he and Jillian become best friends. The author's writing style was simple and the characters become real. I am Very enjoyed reading the book.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

An interesting story line. Thanks for sharing this detailed review.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Edit_or wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 14:51 An interesting story line. Thanks for sharing this detailed review.
You're welcome! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

From your review I think this book would be full of varying emotions. It's always hard and a demanding task to bring up the past you're trying to forget. Your review is explicitly written. Well done.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Grace Lee Rose wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 15:54 From your review I think this book would be full of varying emotions. It's always hard and a demanding task to bring up the past you're trying to forget. Your review is explicitly written. Well done.
Yes, this is an emotional read. It made me cry! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
vitalisvicky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitalisvicky.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by vitalisvicky »

As the review depicts, this sounds like a wonderful book. I would love to read it page by page. You did a great job!
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

What an excellent review of this novel. Yes, indeed, this novel is full of emotion l. Mean, blake has gone through a lot. A friend in need is a friend indeed, Julian trying to write about the story of blake magnificent!.once against nice review.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

vitalisvicky wrote: 23 Dec 2022, 02:26 As the review depicts, this sounds like a wonderful book. I would love to read it page by page. You did a great job!
It is a really good book, full of emotion and surprises! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

CrossK wrote: 24 Dec 2022, 09:43 What an excellent review of this novel. Yes, indeed, this novel is full of emotion l. Mean, blake has gone through a lot. A friend in need is a friend indeed, Julian trying to write about the story of blake magnificent!.once against nice review.
Thanks for the kind words! It is a good read, but is full of emotion that will get to you! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”