Review of Being Lady M

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Being Lady M

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Being Lady M" by Robinn David.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The captivating romance book Being Lady M by Robinn David centers on American heiress Marilla Van Buren and her opulent lifestyle in both the United States and Europe. At an early age, she was sent to the Sorbonne in France to further her education and acquire the complex customs of being a proper lady. Her impertinent, vulgar, and egotistical mother, who is constantly critical of her appearance and demeanor, was the mastermind behind this scheme. Years later, she returned to Boston after the demise of her father as a stunning, sophisticated, and self-assured lady—a feat even her mother couldn't achieve. Naturally, she became the heiress to all her father's properties, including the precious woolen mill. She immediately took on management responsibilities and quickly expanded the company's fame and global reach. Upon arrival, her childhood friend Samantha invites her to attend her daughter's birthday party and soirée. At the soirée, she meets Jared Hightower, a charming widower and loving father of two children.

I was engrossed by how she captured his attention at first glance, and they quickly began a casual relationship. What I thought would be a causal connection turned out to be much more. I was glued to the book as I read about Jared's plans for her. He desired to marry her, but unfortunately, she had other plans, and marrying him was not one of them. For these two affluent individuals, juggling work and relationships was a bit of a hassle, and as their love blossomed, they faced so many challenges. Of course, being wealthy comes with its problems.

Robinn David transports us into the realm of glitz and glamor with a sophisticated style of writing. I loved how he supported his points by describing characters with examples from real-life personalities. Without having to use my imagination too much, it was easy for me to visualize the person he is attempting to describe. He described luxury, sophistication, and elegance in a thrilling way that piqued my interest in reading.

However, I did come across a couple of things I didn't like. Too many characters were introduced at once, which was annoying. Every chapter introduces us to a new character and their unique story, which made it difficult for me to follow along as I tried to get to know the new characters. Too much attention was focused on the minor characters, and it was a bit distracting. Oftentimes, the major characters were left behind.

I found a few errors in the dialogue but the book was still professionally edited. Due to the reasons I mentioned above, I would like to rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

There are obscenities, explicit sex scenes, and LGBT content displayed in this book, so a more mature audience and fans of romance novels would enjoy it better.

Being Lady M
View: on Bookshelves
Rexclinton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rexclinton.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Rexclinton »

Your review was very interesting. I like the plot of this book. Now I'm left to wonder how Marilla and Jared's relationship would turn out
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I'm impressed that Marilla and Jared's relationship began casually and not a full blown romance. I look forward to reading more about Marilla's stepmother and her actions. Amazing review.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

One thing I look out for when reading a book is to find out if a plethora of characters were incorporated in the narrative. A turn-off in this book for me is the incessant introduction of characters in quick succession in the storyline. I'll steer clear of this book because of that. Well done.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

Grace Lee Rose wrote: 05 Jan 2023, 01:34 One thing I look out for when reading a book is to find out if a plethora of characters were incorporated in the narrative. A turn-off in this book for me is the incessant introduction of characters in quick succession in the storyline. I'll steer clear of this book because of that. Well done.
Yeah it was a total distraction. At some point I was so lost trying to figure out who is who
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Online Concept »

I don't like how the book introduced too many characters and also how it focused on minor characters, but your review was detailed.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

I love the plot of this story. It’s rare to see women in places of authority, especially ruling over men. I’ll love to see how she did it.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

I just enjoy the summary of this novel, I don't usually read romance fiction but this may be a different case. Perhaps I would grab a copy of this novel.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Giovana Arévalo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giovana-ar-valo.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Giovana Arévalo »

While the abundance of characters can be distracting, I'm highly interested in Marilla's life and her place of power among Boston society. I'm really intrigue by this book. Great review, thank you!
Precious Anavheoba
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

The author should work on managing characters properly throughout the plot yo avoid confusion. The story, however, seems interesting. Usually, I don't have a preference for romance but this doesn't sound bad at all.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I love reading romance books a lot because it makes me remember a lot about my past. This book sounds interesting and captivating. Good job.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Over achieving mothers are the cause of most if our problems today. They tend to use their children to try to achieve a feat they couldn't.
Oluebube Prisca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluebube-prisca.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluebube Prisca »

A romance between an heiress and a widower sure sounds interesting. Hope I will be able to keep up with the too-many characters though.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”