Review of A shot of love

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of A shot of love

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A shot of love" by Jesse myrow.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Desperate times call for desperate measures" is the best adage to describe the circumstances in Texas in 2028. Tex Pemberton had seen better days as compared to the ongoing situation. Even his frequent tours as a soldier in Iraq were much more bearable than the current situation. Resources have become scarce in Texas, and people have turned to employing unorthodox and unimaginable ways to survive.

Sadly, Tex's wife is killed by an enraged mob. He seeks refuge in the Little Alamo that he and his army buddy constructed in the interior parts of Texas. However, even the resources gathered in the Little Alamo cannot sustain the people in it for long. Pemberton and other leaders resolve to even more unconventional methods to survive and keep the people in the Little Alamo afloat.

I enjoyed Tex's passion for helping families, some of which he didn't know, at the Little Alamo. Living with scarce resources helped Pemberton and his fellow leaders plan for the future: fuel, solar, food, toiletries, etc. I enjoyed one humorous scene when Tex's wife rushed for her wedding album amid a dangerous situation involving shootings. The lady only desired to cling to her past memorable days, but unfortunately, the inevitable happened.

I loved the flashbacks of Tex and his fellow army buddies while in the Middle East. There were deaths and detailed gory scenes. Even so, I appreciated the risk the soldiers took to keep their country safe. The themes of futurism, sacrifice, and survival dominated the entire installment. Stringent measures had to be implemented to ensure resources lasted long enough to tend to the people's needs at the Little Alamo.

Since the author dated the plot in the future, he hints at a previous COVID pandemic and virus variants. Jesse Myrow accomplished an impressive job in keeping the tale in the future. For instance, there was more usage of electric cars, and modern batteries could preserve power for longer hours.

I didn't like the fast-growing romance months after Tex lost his wife. Until the end, I kept asking myself, "How could Pemberton move on so fast? Did he secretly possess some feelings for the new lady even when his wife was alive?" For this reason, I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars.

I found a few errors. Therefore, A shot of love by Jesse myrow is well edited. I recommend it to lovers of volumes dated in the future and with themes of survival and teamwork.

A shot of love
View: on Bookshelves
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Riya Sarkar »

Thanks for the great review! The whole survival plot of Tex and his group sounds like an awesome adventure!
Tamara Bengesai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

The loss of a loved one is a situation that is soul breaking and stressful. I would love to see how Pemberton survived this situation. Surviving bad times is also another lesson to be learnt from this book. Great review

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”