Review of Hand Me Downs

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Review of Hand Me Downs

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hand Me Downs" by Michele Elizabeth Carter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Michele Elizabeth Carter's true life story is told in Hand Me Downs. The plot revolved around Michele Elizabeth Lovett, Cynthia Harrison-Lovett, and Laurence Greene, Cynthia's new lover. Cynthia fell in love with a man named Jesse, and they married and had two children together. Cynthia eventually discovered that her husband didn't turn out to be who she expected him to be, so she decided to divorce him and flee with her two children. She met Laurence, who was married to her best friend Anna. Cynthia eventually began an affair with Laurence, which resulted in pregnancy and the birth of Rolynda. Later, Cynthia learned that Laurence did not value her or his first wife, Anna. What was Cynthia's response to Laurence? What happened to their child, Rolynda? To learn more, obtain a copy.

I was really absorbed as I followed the storyline. The plot's resolution exceeded my expectations. I immediately detected cowardice in Laurence's conduct. These behaviors provided an explanation for why he could not endure his first marriage, pursued Cynthia, took advantage of his family's vulnerability, and turned to religion for solace. The character of Myrtle Matilda made an impression on me. She was a risk-taker, and I eagerly anticipated reading more about her.

This novel held my interest. I not only had no trouble understanding the plot, but I could also sense the characters' feelings. The vocabulary employed to tell the story was not arcane but rather universal. I could also comprehend where accents were utilized in conversation. It was fantastic how the story changed in several chapters to reveal more about various individuals! "Mickey the Writer/Narrator," "Cynthia the Butterfly," "Laurence the Reverend," "Anna the Desolate," "Harry the Badge," "Myrtle Matilda the Femme Fatale," "Robert the Peacemaker," etc. were some of the examples. Robert would be my favorite character if I had to choose one. He began as a helpless crybaby with a nervous stammer, yet he developed into a gentleman. He managed to be the broker of peace despite having grown up in a difficult environment with hostile people. On page 83, there was a passage that really stood out to me as a foreshadowing of what was to come: "Like dominoes, one by one, each of them would collapse beneath the weight of their choices."

No matter how much I liked the changes in some chapters, they were not always seamless. I experienced a strong sense of being thrown off course at practically every point where time changed, finding it difficult to maintain the tension between the previous chapter's narrator of the present and the next chapter's narrator of the past. The second issue I had was with Grandma Flo. For the sake of nostalgia, the characters never look for her again. There were other things Laurence did that I didn't like, including making fun of his wife, his friends, and Cynthia. He was a terrible husband; even when he beat Robert at the strip mall in Tucson for asking him to stop so he could use the convenience store, I realized he would make a terrible father. The book was exceptionally edited, and no errors were found in it.

Because of the aforementioned factors, I rate the book four out of five stars. Everybody ought to read this book. People between the ages of 12 and 50 should definitely read it because it addresses a variety of sociocultural concerns that we face, such as bad leadership, love trysts, and absentee fathers, among others. One of the most important truths I took away from this experience was that dysfunctional families might produce broken individuals, who would then produce dysfunctional societal structures.

Hand Me Downs
View: on Bookshelves
Chinex Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinex-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Chinex Otuokere »

I enjoyed Michele Elizabeth's story because it taught me that no condition n this life is permanent. The plot is educational and instructive. Good job.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I will like everyone to read Michele Elizabeth true life story. The author went through a lot in his life. I must say I have learned a lot already in the review. Good job.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

First, I must commend the artist that designed the book cover; it's so beautiful and relating. I like the plot and the romance that ensued between the characters. It will be very exciting to read.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I enjoy the plot of this story. I don’t know but Cynthia seems off to me. Why will she secretly date her friend’s husband? I wonder how the children produced by these individuals will be. Nice review!
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

Cynthia sure has bad luck when it comes to issues of men. I am not a fan of divorce but I wouldn't blame her for her choices. I enjoyed reading your review and look forward to reading the book.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I don't know the name to call Cynthia with the decisions she took. I enjoyed reading your review and look forward to reading the book.
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

Well done reviewer. I'm intrigued by the review. I'd like to know why Cynthia will decide to betray someone she called a friend.
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

Well done reviewer. I'm intrigued by the review. I'd like to know why Cynthia will decide to betray someone she called a friend.
Amanda Warner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-warner.html
Latest Review: The Magic of Gluten-Free Cooking by Julia Matto

Post by Amanda Warner »

Hand Me Downs by Michele Elizabeth Carter seems like an interesting read, and the life of Cynthia was unstable, as she divorced her first husband and ended up in an abusive relationship with Laurence.
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

I enjoyed how detailed and well-written the review is, the book plot is fascinating. I will like to add it to my TBR.
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

When it comes to male difficulties, Cynthia has horrible luck. I don't support divorce, but I wouldn't hold it against her for her decisions. Reading your review was enjoyable, and I'm eager to read the book.
Fergie Jess Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jess-edeni.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Fergie Jess Edeni »

Cynthia never had it well with love. Betrayal was always playing a role. Your review is mind blowing and captivating. I’ll definitely read the book.
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

This book sounds interesting. I will like to read it because of the well detailed review. I love the content of this book. Good job.
Main Readar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-main-readar.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Main Readar »

This is plot sounds educative on the family front. The cover photo is also cool.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”