Review of Around Which All Things Bend

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Around Which All Things Bend

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Around Which All Things Bend" by Nancy Perpall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Days before his wedding, Alex Whitegate calls the whole thing off. The straw that broke Alex’s back was one final outrageous demand from his manipulative fiancee. Despite his guilt, Alex wonders why he was the last to realize that Gwynn only wanted him for his family’s wealth. Taking comfort in his reunion with Donovan and Nick, friends from his army days, Alex begins putting his life back together.

When he escapes the small-town drama of Montana by visiting Donovan’s hometown of Charleston, Alex finds himself haunted by the guilt of ending his engagement, which brings out a few ghosts left over from the Civil War days. Donovan’s sister Brooke, a Ph.D. psychology student, offers him a listening ear and helps him work through his emotions. As Alex falls in love with her, he wonders how their relationship will survive when he returns home. Brooke is reluctant to leave her roots in Charleston, and Alex has a family legacy to maintain in Montana. Will Alex be able to settle the ghosts of the past and find a future worth pursuing? Or will his dreams be brought down by obligations, impossible distance, and his obsessive ex-fiancee?

Read Around Which All Things Bend by Nancy Perpall to find out. Many things made this book a worthwhile read. First, I loved the historical aspects of the story. I loved how the author incorporated historical details and architecture to add vivid details to the narrative. I also enjoyed the words of wisdom passed on by characters who acted as wise mentors throughout Alex’s journey. In addition to their inspirational words, the author started all 71 chapters with insightful quotes from well-known authors and historical figures, including Victor Hugo, William Shakespeare, D.H. Lawrence, Charles Dickens, and many more!

I also appreciated the healing that the characters experienced throughout the story. Alex was not the only one who needed help with his past; he learned to help others using a therapy technique introduced by Brooke. I found myself interested in using the principles Alex learned to help others in my own life as I watched how effectively it helped Alex’s friends and co-workers.

The main thing that I disliked was the ending of the story. While the author provided a conclusion that made the book stand alone, a pacing issue made the ending too abrupt. The climax came too close to the novel’s end and was a bit extreme. When the author followed with a quick resolution, the answer I had been waiting for was confusing, and I wasn’t sure I fully understood what decision had been made. It left me unsatisfied even though I had enjoyed the rest of the book. Therefore, I must reduce the rating to four out of five stars.

The book had some lingering typos but appeared to be professionally edited. I recommend it to readers who love steamy romance novels with moderately erotic content and non-borderline swearing. The historical aspects should appeal to readers who love ghosts, Civil War details, underground railroad stories, cattle ranching, and gold mining. This book is also a good fit for readers who enjoy love-at-first-sight romance dramas with a bit of suspense.

Around Which All Things Bend
View: on Bookshelves
Nwoko E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-e.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nwoko E »

I also appreciated the healing the characters experienced throughout the story. Alex was not the only one who needed help;he learned to help others using a therapy technique introduced by Brooke. Great work.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”