Review of Second Glances

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review of Second Glances

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Second Glances" by Rosalind Byers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When Allie Harper meets an intoxicatingly handsome (and charming) stranger on the plane, she is quickly swept up in a whirlwind romance. Mark Darcy wines and dines the young teacher with fancy dinners and impromptu brunch dates. Everything is perfect—well, almost everything. A nagging feeling in the pit of her stomach forms every time he avoids questions regarding his career. She tries to accept his reticence; maybe he doesn’t want to bore her with mundane details about work. Still, Mark is hiding something, and it is only a matter of time before Allie finds out.

Second Glances by Rosalind Byers is a light-hearted romantic novel about an alluring new relationship. The story is told from the third person perspective, following high school teacher Allie Harper as she takes a position in a new city while exploring feelings for astute businessman Mark. Matters of the heart can be so confusing, and Allie finds herself falling for him quickly, despite his inconsistencies.

I wanted to love this book; I really did. From the adorable cover that was reminiscent of a cute romantic comedy to the prospect of a juicy new romance with a lot of potential for character development, it seemed like a gem. But I quickly realized Allie and Mark lacked dimension. First, the conversations between the two were too formal for my liking and lacked the casual ease of a relatable back and forth.

Further, the relationship moved rapidly, but my biggest dislike was that I didn’t fall into stride with the characters. While it was apparent that the pair shared a physical attraction, an emotional connection was absent. This could have been improved by spending time on character backstories and alternating perspectives. While Allie’s perspective was a constant throughout, the author randomly sprinkled in Mark’s perspective here and there, causing confusion.

Despite the book’s shortcomings, I enjoyed the details of the pair’s lavish dates—a fancy evening on the terrace, a brunch in the park, and a beautiful gala were ideal settings for romance. Moreover, the description of Allie’s dresses and killer heels added opulence to the writing. Another bonus was the book’s exceptional editing. I didn’t find any errors. With that being said, I have chosen to give the book a rating of three out of five stars. It was cute and light-hearted, and I loved the prospect of Allie being whisked away on romantic dates. Still, I took away two stars because it lacked the character development necessary to immerse the reader fully.

Second Glances might be a good recommendation for lovers of romantic comedies with heteronormative relationships. However, if you’re looking for multi-layered characters with an emotional connection, you might want to pass on this one.

Second Glances
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”