Official Review: Rawmance by Wade C. Taylor

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Official Review: Rawmance by Wade C. Taylor

Post by amybo82 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rawmance" by Wade C. Taylor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rawmance by Wade C. Taylor is the second in the Samhain Shake series. Samhain Shake, or Shake, as he is more commonly known, is the narrator and main character. In this book, we follow Shake as he learns that he will soon be father to his second child. He has to share this news with his best friend and his family. This task is not as easy as it may seem because Warren, Shake’s best friend, still has feelings for Constance, the girl Shake has impregnated. Shake’s family ties are also strained, as his mother has passed away, and his father is distant, at best. Shake’s relationship with his first daughter, teenage Millie, is not typical. They spend time bonding by partying and doing drugs together.

Rawmance is a difficult novel to fit into one genre because it encompasses elements from several groups. While Amazon categorizes the book as contemporary fiction, romance, and young adult, I would argue that it doesn't have traditional teen elements, and the romance aspects take a backseat to other characteristics. For example, the language used and the focus on race gives it the feel of Urban Fiction. Additionally, the meditations on astrology, numerology, philosophy, and religion give the book a feel that is part metaphysical fiction.

Overall, it is a fairly quick read because of its short length and the author’s use of dialogue. The dialogue is my favorite part of the book. It really showcases the author’s excellent ability to select just the right words to convey depth and emotion. An excellent example of the author’s word choice is on page 36, when the narrator is describing the music he is listening to: “Nirvana's ‘Even In His Youth’ bled flames from my speakers in the corner. Kurt's voice swelled and lurched like the ragged blue tide crashing, splashing, fraying on the rock of his panic and conviction.” This quotation also provides a glimpse of one of the many fun pop culture references sprinkled throughout the book.

The dialogue is broken up by philosophical and metaphysical reflections and examinations. These sections slow the reading down, especially if the reader is not familiar with some of the finer details of the astrological signs and their houses. However, the author does a good job of giving explanations for concepts readers may not be familiar with. For example, in chapter three, Shake gives his girlfriend a brief lesson on numerology by explaining the vibrations of the letters in her name. This lesson also serves to educate the reader on the topic.

I had very few issues with the book. It was well-written, the technical aspects were solid, and the story was interesting. Though the length of the book made it quick to read, this may have also been a detriment. The story seems to just stop in the middle of the rising action. I speculate, though, that the author may have done this with the intent of creating additional books in the series. One other nit-picky detail is that there are double spaces after each period, which is very noticeable in the e-book.

I would recommend this book to someone looking for a book to read in just a few hours. People who are into astrology or discussions of religion would also like this book because there are several sections where the narrator speaks about both of these topics.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author has an excellent use of diction, and his explanations are interesting and relatable. My chief complaint is that the plot of the book builtds up, but it seems to just stop before the climax. It's a well-written book; I just wish there was more of it!

Rawmance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like amybo82's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
wadectaylor
Currently Reading: Rawmance
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by wadectaylor »

Thank you, amybo82
april-ballard
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-april-ballard.html
Latest Review: "From The Killer's Eyes" by Morgan C. Amos
Publishing Contest Votes: 5
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by april-ballard »

Thank you for the nice review! This is definitely a case of don't judge a book by it's cover!
Latest Review: "From The Killer's Eyes" by Morgan C. Amos
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: An American in Scotland
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I read the first book in this series, The Waterbear. It's nice to read a review of the 2nd installment. The author also has interesting passages about astrology in the first book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I think I'd like to go back and read the first book to see how the two fit together. I'm interested in the future works of the author, as well!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
kwamemeloy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwamemeloy.html
Latest Review: Love And Murder by Dr. Irv Arenberg

Post by kwamemeloy »

Readers are bound to appreciate the way your remarkably insightful review weaves a narrative of the book's essence, guiding them on a journey through its profound layers and themes.
Christabel nmeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-nmeso.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christabel nmeso »

The way you describe the dialogue and the author's skill in word choice makes it seem like a compelling read. It's always interesting when a book can't be neatly categorized because it often means the story is complex and multifaceted. Plus, the way you've described the main character's relationships and personal challenges adds a lot of depth. Thanks for the insight on the book.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”