Review of The Cackling of the Crows

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: We All Have A Story! Here’s Mine by Maurice Chandler

Review of The Cackling of the Crows

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Cackling of the Crows" by Neal Sellers.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The first time Gregory Que, popularly referred to as Que, saw a crow was at a funeral site. He felt these crows knew something he didn't know. When he returned home, there was also a crow. For many years he had come across so many crows and had wondered what that meant. Their calls have turned to "the cackling of the crows," and he could not interpret what it meant. However, these crows have been there in almost every event that has happened to him.

Que is a charming, loving, and social fellow. He takes us around his romantic life while telling us the stories of four important women. He shares secrets with each, involving his past, present, and future.

I liked so many things about this book, The Cackling of the Crows by Neal Sellers. I enjoyed the jokes that are chipped in once in a while. The narrator tried to make it conversational. I liked how he would pause and put in a joke. It was like the author could guess, most times, what I was thinking. Or at least, he tried to guess. Neal has a way with words, and this book has an addictive effect. I kept asking myself questions about what would happen next. I like the way he casually narrated this book. It felt like he was retelling a story to a friend through Que.

I also like the educational nature of this audiobook. From the very first chapter, the narrator was out to teach. For instance, he was right when he said not many people knew the difference between psychology and psychiatry. Also, I didn't know how to differentiate them, and I found it helpful that he did. In addition, I didn't know a group of crows is referred to as a murder of crows. I like the way he was carefree about certain terms. For instance, when he explains who a hooker is and why he is a sexual intellectual. Finally, I admire how Que always mentioned that he wanted the book to go viral so that he could get his parents what they deserve.

I didn't quite appreciate the author referencing people he borrows a quote or two from. He kept saying apologies to this person or apologies to that person after borrowing a quote from them. Also, I think this story swayed in different directions. One minute we are talking about his life with Winnie, then the next, we are discussing the lady who invited him over to eat then we move to K.P. I had to keep backtracking to understand what was being discussed. This affected my smooth reading too. Aside from these, this book was exceptionally well edited. I found no errors in it, which is a plus.

Therefore, this book would get a deserving 5 out of 5. The author's effort is commendable, and I love Que's narration, and the ending of this book was amazing. I would recommend this book to people who love romance books; they would enjoy this one. If you enjoy hip-hop, this book is for you.

The Cackling of the Crows
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Riya Sarkar »

That's a wonderful review! Que's perspective of these women does sound quite interesting.
Annette Boateng
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 331

Post by Annette Boateng »

I see this story to be more than being a romantic novel in the sense of crows being involved which will urge a reader who is a lover of research to find out the frequent presence of these "deadly birds" which means bad omen to some societies or country as a whole. However trying to understand the author's definition of this book l love to read more to arrive on the same point. Great review.
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

The title doesn't concern romance in any way. But this review says otherwise and I'm going to find out. Thank you for a nice review.
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

Usually cries indicate a feeling of magic or doom with me, but this book uses them in a different way. A romantic novel, interesting and intriguing with an eye catching cover …,,
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

Usually crows indicate a feeling of magic or doom with me, but this book uses them in a different way. A romantic novel, interesting and intriguing with an eye catching cover …,,
Uma gupta
Currently Reading: Broken Faith
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uma-gupta.html
Latest Review: The Forbidden Man by Gerald R Knight
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Uma gupta »

This review of "The Cackling of the Crows" by Neal Sellers captures the essence of the book's charm, wit, and educational value. The narrator's conversational style and the protagonist Que's engaging storytelling make it a captivating read. Despite minor issues, the book's quality earns a well-deserved 5 out of 5 rating.
Anjana Savita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjana-savita.html
Latest Review: Love Is by Kim Sorrelle

Post by Anjana Savita »

This insightful review highlights the engaging narrative style, educational content, and minor flaws of "The Cackling of the Crows" while emphasizing its overall excellence and recommendation for romance and hip-hop enthusiasts.
Oluwagbenga Akangbe
Favorite Book: Fireproof Happiness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwagbenga-akangbe.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 270%

Post by Oluwagbenga Akangbe »

A contradictory genre write up. A complicated somewhat dark mystery biography mixed with romance. It sounded like the start to an horror novel. The story goes around Que's experience with crows and then about the four women in his life, with various thots and jabs of little jokes here and there. The plot is quite confusing as it stutters and is uneven. I'd rate it a 3 out of 5 in my opinion.
Nabweteme Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nabweteme-gloria.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Nabweteme Gloria »

The review for "The Cackling of the Crows" captures the essence of Que's journey and the author's storytelling style quite vividly. It's refreshing to see how the narrator's conversational tone and witty remarks made the reading experience engaging. The educational tidbits sprinkled throughout the book add value, although the shifting focus between different aspects of Que's life could be a bit disorienting. Overall, it sounds like a compelling read, especially for those who enjoy romance novels with a touch of humor and insightful anecdotes.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

The title and cover of this book are both intriguing and not what you would expect of a romance novel. I'm also attracted by the setting of the book in New York in the 80s and 90s with a hip-hop soundtrack of the era.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Mountain Wave by Joe Albea, Nathan Summers

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

I always love memoirs that share life experiences with a touch of nostalgia. Using a crow as a prelude before diving into a romance story is such an intriguing concept. The premise of this romance book sounds captivating, and reading your review makes me even more eager to dive into the full story. Thank you for writing this!
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
abderrahman El achari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abderrahman-el-achari.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 33
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by abderrahman El achari »

"The Cackling of the Crows" by Neal Sellers is a novel that tells the story of Q's relationship with crows, romance, and a fellow wizard.. Good review :techie-studyinggray:
my regards
williams Emerald
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by williams Emerald »

This review provides a vivid portrayal of the engaging characters and witty narrative style in “The Cackling of the Crows” by Neal Sellers. While the occasional tangents may disrupt the flow, the educational elements and seamless storytelling make it a captivating read. Highly recommended choice for romance and hip-hop enthusiasts alike.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Nisha DSouza »

The Cackling of the Crows by Neal Sellers is a book with an interesting mix of romance, suspense, hip-hop, and a theme of good vs evil. I like that the book is educational, too, and I'm intrigued about the crows and their role in Que's story. In the absence of a sample on Kindle, I'm judging the book based on the book description and the OBC review. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”