Review of Edge of Destiny

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Magnets
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-reeves.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
fav_author_id: 77547

Review of Edge of Destiny

Post by Alex Reeves »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Edge of Destiny" by Phil Brown.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Young love is a beautiful experience to behold, but due to several circumstances including warfare, it is always short-lived. Edge of Destiny by Phil Brown is an intriguing romance novel about a young couple, Theo Ferris and Claudia Duval, who fell in love during the onset of the Second World War, precisely 1938. Due to Hitler's aggressive annexation of numerous countries and his invasion of France, the British government declared war on Germany. As a loyal ally of Britain, Canada, together with other western countries, sent out troops to aid Britain in stopping Hitler. Theo Ferris's family owned a small farm in Ruppen, but Theo and Claudia, who have bigger dreams, went to the University of Toronto to study. Their love for each other grew to extreme heights, and they decided to be together. However, Canada responded to the war by sending out troops to aid Britain, and as a patriotic citizen, Theo made up his mind to enlist. Before enlisting, he and Claudia decided to spend time with their friends, and they went to an exhibition center. In the center, for a bet, Theo jumped on a ride called the Kraken, a ride that was supposed to slow the time of its rider. This ride, however, changed the course of Theo's life, as he woke up, distraught, in the 21st century. Together with a few older Canadians in Ruppen, he set out to find the love of his life, a fragile old woman named Claudia, and hopefully reconnect with her before finding his way back home to the 20th century.

As I said earlier, young love is a theme that people enjoy reading, and this book is no exception. I take delight in reading teen romance, and this book is certainly of that genre. The author's knowledge of the war was broad, and occasionally I wondered if he was a time traveler himself. He gave explicit details on the way of life back in those days, and I believe he must have spent a lot of time researching it. The end of the book was superb, and I was amused by how improper Theo felt when Rick, the new owner of his former home, showed him around town in the 21st century. The book was well-scripted and had a great plot. Check it out if you'll enjoy a tale of love and time travel.

The lengthy details about the war, though highly educational, were a bore to me. At some point, I grew tired of the book, as the war seemed to be the only subject of discussion in it. The beginning of the book, which entailed the developing romance between Theo and Claudia, was of utmost interest to me. However, as I read on, the romance tensed down and the war became the major subject of the book. By the end of the book, Theo's travel through time occurred, and I took delight in reading that part. I greatly enjoyed it, though it was saddening to find out that a tragedy occurred in Theo's life. The book was very lengthy, and it took me a long time to read it completely. If it's of interest to you, try to check it out.

This book was professionally edited, as I found only a few punctuation errors. As I stated earlier, I was greatly bored with the lengthy war details in this book, and that is the major reason I rate it 3 out of 5 stars. It was a good read, but I'll categorize it as an average book—not too good, not too bad. This, however, is my opinion of the book.

In conclusion, I would appropriately recommend this book to lovers of anything that has to do with romance and time travel. In addition, if you hope to learn about life in Canada during the Second World War, you should get a copy of this book. It'll certainly make your day.

Edge of Destiny
View: on Bookshelves
“Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted to bear.”
Marcus Aurelius :tiphat:
Nwoko E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-e.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nwoko E »

As I said earlier, young love is a theme people enjoy reading, this book is exception. I take delight in reading teen romance, and this book is certainly of that genre. Great review.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Post by Emily Meadows »

Hi Alex - great review! I love the concept of Theo being a time traveler (accidently). It sounds like a fun premise for the book, and I would want to see what happens between Theo and Claudia. I'll add the book to my bookshelves. Thanks!
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP

Post by Alex Reeves »

Emily Meadows wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 15:08 Hi Alex - great review! I love the concept of Theo being a time traveler (accidently). It sounds like a fun premise for the book, and I would want to see what happens between Theo and Claudia. I'll add the book to my bookshelves. Thanks!
Adding it to your bookshelf will definitely be a good idea. The book entailed teen romance and time travel, and any author that is able to blend this two together is certainly an experienced one. Very interesting read that it was.
Alex Reeves
In It Together VIP

Post by Alex Reeves »

Nwoko E wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 12:40 As I said earlier, young love is a theme people enjoy reading, this book is exception. I take delight in reading teen romance, and this book is certainly of that genre. Great review.
I believe you agree with me that young love and teen romance is definitely a beautiful thing to read about. This book spiced that up with time travel, and I tell you that the effect was surreal.
“Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted to bear.”
Marcus Aurelius :tiphat:

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”