Review of Mr. Everything

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Review of Mr. Everything

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mr. Everything" by Jennifer Bartlett.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Mr. Everything by Jennifer Bartlett tells the story of a woman searching for love. The narrator goes from relationship to relationship, searching for a meaningful connection and a man who will be a father to her children. Throughout the novel, she keeps finding her way back to one man. They have a toxic relationship, and he is seemingly never satisfied with one woman for long. However, she keeps finding herself wishing he was back in her life, and she is willing to fight to keep him.

The theme of searching for love and dealing with toxic relationships is relatable, and I found myself feeling sympathy for the narrator. She just wanted someone to love her and her children. She didn't want her kids to live in a broken home and not have a stable upbringing. The struggles she went through felt very real; that was my favorite part of the book.

My biggest issue with this book was the lack of names for the characters. The different men the narrator dated were given descriptions of how they made the narrator feel at the time. It was confusing because I wasn't always sure who the narrator was talking about. If Barlett had named the different characters, I think I would have had a much easier time reading this book and keeping the characters straight.

The writing also wasn't the most interesting. Bartlett would state what was happing to the narrator instead of describing events. It felt very choppy because of this, and I never felt like I had a good picture of events or settings. I find it hard to enjoy a book when I can't visualize what is happening; it made continuing to read a struggle because of how disconnected I felt from the events in the book.

I rate this book 2 out of 5 stars. I personally did not like the writing style. I found it hard to follow and visualize. That is why I am taking away stars from the rating. However, there were interesting and emotional moments, and I thought the narrator had a compelling story. I think that some readers might enjoy this book, especially if they can relate to the struggles the narrator went through. There is strong language in the book; I think the book is better suited for adult readers that want to read about a woman dealing with a toxic relationship.

Mr. Everything
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

This book has a good plot. Not being able to know the characters' names removes this book from my reading list. I'd love to know the names so I can keep up with the people the main character meets. What if I want to narrate the story to a friend? Would I have to make up names? Thanks for the detailed review.
Lilian Fabian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lilian Fabian »

I love this book, I felt real pain reading it cos it's almost like the story of my life
Tamara Bengesai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

This book has a good storyline which is easier to relate to. It's sad for the struggles that the protagonist went through in finding love and trying to establish a stable home for her children. would be interesting to read this book to see how the story ends.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”