Review of Senior Pleasures

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of Senior Pleasures

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Senior Pleasures" by Tony Jenkins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Having lost his wife, Tom Hartley must rebuild his life. Tom is a middle-aged man who runs a gardening club and organizes social activities. He is known for being sweet with ladies. With a reputation that precedes him, Helen is uncertain about his advances. So, she makes him undergo twelve months of probation to validate his feelings and fidelity status. During the probation, there are still minor tales of different ladies Tom has "helped". Because of this, he makes it his duty to stay accountable and transparent.

The first time Tom sees Kate, she is wearing a provocative outfit. Do all retirees dress this way? Also, she is overly friendly; she makes a lot of body contact during their conversation. There is no doubt that Kate is an attractive woman. The problem is the fact that Tom has to put up with her distraction every day, as she is now his neighbor. Will Tom be able to avoid this temptation? How does it affect his relationship with Helen? Find out by reading Senior Pleasures by Tony Jenkins.

For a conversation or story to catch and sustain your interest, it has to be intense. This happens to be both a positive and negative aspect of this book, but I will start with the positive aspect. I thoroughly enjoyed the narration. Jenkins knows how to captivate readers with his incredible storytelling techniques. Even when I was only reading a dialogue or a background event, he found a way to make it worthwhile. Many books make you want to get to the climax and find out the resolution. However, with this book, I was happy to enjoy the pleasantly slow-paced details. I enjoyed the process, and I wasn't too eager about the outcome because I felt the author tastefully detailed the events of this book. It was interesting to "become a part of" Tom's family. I found myself rooting for him to successfully end his probation. I liked the friendship between Tom and Helen. It was incredible to read all the details of Tom's life.

Also, the humor in this book was fantastic. Helen told Tom he wasn't having the baby because she was the one carrying it. When he went to the hospital to see her, the doctor asked him if he was the one having a baby. The temptation to reply to the doctor with Helen's exact words made me smile. However, the strength of this book was only in the process and not the outcome. Being dazzled by how the tidbits made me feel good, I imagined what the main part of the plot would do. It's safe to say that the expectation was never met. There was not a "main part of the plot". It was all about the story of Tom transitioning into a new life, especially in the romantic aspect. While I was happy with the storytelling, I felt a bit disappointed because I expected more. Also, I felt the title was a bit deceptive. The book hinted at a romantic atmosphere, but this seemed to be barely present. In simple terms, the story never got intense.

This book was perfectly edited; I did not encounter any errors in it. This proves that the author is incredible at what he does. I enjoyed reading this book. I cannot overemphasize how incredibly gifted the author is. However, I wanted a bit more. Because of this, I am not giving this book a perfect rating. My rating for this book is 4 out of 5 stars. I did not give a lower rating because what I considered to be the negative aspect further strengthened the positives of this book. For a book without an intense storyline, it sustained my attention.

I recommend this book to middle-aged readers because they would relate more to the details in this book. If you like a light but expertly written work about a love story, this is a book for you.

Senior Pleasures
View: on Bookshelves
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

For a conversation or story to catch and sustain your interest, it has to be intense.
I agree. A storyline has to carry readers along because they must find out what happens next or because there is an emotional development that touches them.
Charles Ashinze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-ashinze.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Charles Ashinze »

The author focused on the experience of storytelling and not so much on what the story is. It seems like a book for a lazy read, to luxuriate in the words and not what it is saying. I like that there were no errors. That would have affected 5he reading experience.
Michael Valentine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Pendulum Charts Contact Your Angelic Team by Raven Shamballa

Post by Michael Valentine »

I wonder what Tom did in the book. I guess I would have to read this book to find out. Thank you for this beautiful review.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I like romance stories, and this one seems to have potential. I'm disappointed to know there was no peak for the plot, as they are always my favorite parts. Your analysis of the book was remarkable. Great review!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

I guess it will really not be easy for Tom to deal with this distraction. Nevertheless, I don't mind reading through this story to know how it went.
zynnyx_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zynnyx.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by zynnyx_ »

I'm a sucker for humorous content in a book. Your summary has me in suspense. Thank you for your honest review.
:D
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

Can’t wait to explore this book, it seems very engaging. And your review is wonderful, well done.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

Naughty naughty Kate! Would love to read this book. Thanks for the review!
Chinedum Chijioke
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Bones In The Alley by Viterose E Van Huis

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

It's rare to find authors you have the ability to keep you glued to the story even when it is slow paced. I think that's a plus for this author. A wonderful review indeed.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”