Review of Love in Another Time

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Review of Love in Another Time

Post by Vine Michael »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love in Another Time" by Lexa Dudley.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Love in Another Time by Lexa Dudley is a romance novel set in Sardinia. It follows Eleanor di Montfort in 1961 as she explores the beauty of Sardinia after joining her parents in Cagliari because of her father’s job at the foreign office. She meets Gino, a young professor, with whom she falls in love. Over four decades later, her granddaughter, Sara, is sent to Cagliari by her company and meets Luca, a young archaeologist, and professor. Sara’s love story rivals her grandmother’s. The book was divided into two parts: the first part is about Ellie and her love story, while the second part is about Sara and her love story.

At age seven, in 1947, Ellie is shipped off to a boarding school attended by her best friend, Polly Smythe. Due to the cold, the school closes early, and Ellie’s parents send her to spend it with the Smythes on their farm, where she has the best time of her life. During this break, she forged a deep bond with Simon, one of Polly’s brothers, who promised to marry her. In 1961, after Polly’s grand wedding in Italy, she travels with her mother, Isabel, to Cagliari, where her father, Ian di Montfort, has been assigned by the foreign office. She meets Gino, with whom she ends up falling in love. Forty-five years later, Sara, Ellie’s granddaughter, arrives in Cagliari, having been sent by her company. And she ends up falling in love like her grandmother, but will her love story end like Ellie’s?

Ellie’s character is happy and carefree but still faces different challenges, one of which is her mother. Ellie was kind-hearted, always ready to lend a helping hand, much to the chagrin of her mother. Ellie and Sara’s characters shared a lot of similarities in their demeanor and perspective on life. My favorite part was when Ellie finally stood up to Isabel, her mother. I also liked how Ellie evolved in the book by becoming bold and confident enough to share her views and not back down. A result of her newfound confidence was how she unknowingly convinced the Contessa to help the boys' orphanage she spends her time. I love Simon; he is so selfless. Unfortunately, Ellie had such horrible parents. Their behavior towards their child was appalling.

I liked the sister-type relationship shared between Ellie and Polly. I like how descriptive the book is; we could experience and explore the beauty of Italy alongside Ellie and Sara. The characters were well-developed, and the plot and setting of the book were well-written. Both Sara and Ellie’s love stories were beautiful.

There was nothing to dislike about the book. I discovered no grammatical errors, as the book seems to have been professionally and exceptionally edited. I rate this book five out of five stars.

I recommend this book to anyone interested in historical romance novels. As the book contains sexual scenes and uses strong language, it is not suited for a younger audience and should only be read by readers 18 and above.

Love in Another Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Sara and Ellie's love story seems connected. Maybe the person they meet and fall in love with will interconnect. It seems that the book has well-descriptive settings, which is one aspect of the book that I like. Especially, Italy. Wow. I think I will enjoy this book. Thank you for sharing your awesome review!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Tamara Bengesai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

This is romance novel with a historical touch. I love how the different stories of Sara and Ellie seem connected. The different love stories in different eras is a nice touch. Great Review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”