Review of Unsound

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review of Unsound

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unsound" by Ash Finley.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Rainier is a boarding school for troubled youth struggling with addiction, eating disorders, mental illness, and suicidal ideologies. Burdened by the heaviness of trauma and shameful family secrets, many of the teens have spent a lifetime trying to run from these things, but at Rainier, healing means facing the truth. Alongside these traumas, the group faces further coming-of-age hardships such as romantic relationships, conflicts, and morality.

Will Rainier be their catalyst for change? Read and find out.

Unsound by Ash Finley is a coming-of-age book sprinkled with romance. The story takes place in Washington in a small community nestled in a tranquil forest and follows several characters. Written from the first-person perspective, the narrative alternates between Holly, Jon, Jay, and Mindy as they navigate the many challenges of being at-risk teens whose families have placed them in Rainier as a last resort. Themes of love and family are sprinkled throughout the pages.

This was a fantastic read! First, I loved the story's premise—a bunch of troubled teens having to live and work together in fairly close quarters, promised drama and action. Moreover, my interest was buttressed by the motley crew of characters the author deftly created. Between Holly's fabricated tough-girl exterior, Jon's unwavering jealousy, and Mindy's proclivity for depression and self-mutilation, there was never a dull moment.

Further, the author aptly focused on crossing the threshold between friendship and romantic relationships, which perfectly illustrated the challenges young adults face. The lack of experience, self-confidence, and fear of rejection was showcased particularly between Mindy, Jay, Holly, and Jon. The alternating perspectives were a clever approach as I could experience what each of them was thinking and feeling. For example, readers could understand the tension between Holly and Jon as they both harbored secret feelings toward one another but feared being vulnerable.

I am happy to report I didn't find a single error in the book; it was exceptionally edited. There was nothing to dislike about the all-encompassing novel, and I have chosen to give it a rating of five out of five stars because of the diversity of characters and the relatable coming-of-age issues depicted.

I recommend the book to a young adult audience who enjoys books about relationships and overcoming familial drama. Each character is flawed but likable, and readers will easily resonate with them. That said, I would warn those easily triggered by profanity and exposure to heavier topics to exercise caution before reading the story.

Unsound
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Despite profanities caution I think this book is interesting. I look forward to reading the book. Beautiful review.
Ana-Maria MT
Favorite Book: Gild
Currently Reading: Throne of Glass
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-mt.html
Latest Review: The Inner CEO by Jeremy Blain
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Ana-Maria MT »

Romance? Say no more! I am so interested in the “drama” that this books is ready to give!
"You can have all the gold in the world and yet lack everything of real worth.”
― Raven Kennedy, Gild
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

Every romance book must be added to my shelf. Thanks for sharing this lovely review.
zynnyx_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zynnyx.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by zynnyx_ »

I like the switch in viewpoints. It gives the reader more understanding of the characters. I also love the different issues treated in this book. Excellent review.
:D
Ogechi Okonkwo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogechi-okonkwo.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by Ogechi Okonkwo »

This is an interesting and a fascinating review. I loved how you captured every aspect of the book. I did enjoy reading your review. This is an interesting one.
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

Neuropsychosis is a mental disorder where the affected is kept in asylum where they will be restricted from mixing up with others. This health condition also distress their relatives too. Am impressed with you elaborate review.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I love coming-of-age books, even when not a young adult myself. The setting is intriguing, troubled youth having to overcome their issues. How recognisable is the fear of being vulnerable? I will certainly enjoy this book.
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Chris Agbara »

This book will certainly make a great read.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A BOOK BY ASH FINLEY TALKING ABOUT RAINER A BOARDING SCHOOL FOR YOUNG ADDICTS, EATING DISORDERS, MENTAL ILLNESS, SUICIDAL IDEOLOGIES AND SHAMEFUL FAMILY SECRETS.
A BOOK FOR YOUTH AND ADULTS.GOOD REVIEW
Adebayo Peace 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Adebayo Peace 1 »

I would love to read it. I look for romance in all books and this has it with a little bit of twist to it. I will certainly love this book
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

The book seems interesting. Adolescence is a difficult period: the teenagers are no longer kids, still they are not yet adults but they are already overwhelmed with all those adult problems they have little skills to deal with. It will be interesting to read this book. Congratulations on becoming BOTD!
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

It’s great that these troubled teens have somewhere to go to instead of juvie. These teens with different backgrounds and troubles from drugs, eating disorders and mental disorders are a bunch of complex characters that make this interesting.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The healing journey of Holly, Jon, Jay, and Mindy at Rainier is something I look forward to reading. I want to know how they cope with life with their traumas and addiction. This story is something I can relate to. Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

'Unsound' by Ash Finley offers a complex look into the lives of troubled teens, dealing with issues of trauma, relationships, and growth. Keep in mind, it's not a light read and digs deep into heavy themes. It could be a hit if you enjoy raw, emotional coming-of-age narratives. Congratulations on being BOTD!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”