Review of Her Neighbor

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Review of Her Neighbor

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Her Neighbor" by D. A. Olivier.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Her Neighbor by D. A. Olivier is the story of two neighbors and their relationship over time. Julienne was a quiet child who bonded with Daniel, her childhood neighbor. They remained close friends though each married and had separate lives. One day, Julienne gets a call from Daniel and bails him out of jail. She decides to take him to her beach house to try and help him with his latest crisis. Daniel had a pattern of binge drinking and getting into trouble whenever something bad happened in his life. During their week on the beach, both Julienne and Daniel are forced to come to terms with the unspoken truths of their relationship.

My favorite part of this book was how Olivier weaved together different parts of Julienne and Daniel's relationship. The story jumped around in time. This allowed the reader to get more of their story as opposed to just the events in the present. I especially liked the juxtaposition of younger Julienne, who didn't talk, and adult Julienne, who had found her voice and place in the world. Seeing how people grow and change over time is fascinating to me.

The time jumps also allowed the characters to feel more well-rounded. Both Julienne and Daniel had family issues; Julienne's parents had died, and Daniel's mother had abandoned him. However, they both dealt with their trauma in different ways. Julienne didn't talk, and Daniel was angry. These simple differences really brought the characters to life and set up conflicts.

The only minor issue with this book was the time skips were not always clear. I was sometimes a bit confused as time would change between paragraphs, and it would take me a bit to realize. This happened more at the beginning, and it might just be because I didn't know that's how the book was formatted.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. The minor issue I noted was not enough to take away a star from the rating. I also did not notice a large number of grammatical errors; I believe this book was professionally edited. I would recommend this to adult audiences, as there is strong language and slight sexual content. If you enjoy reading about relationships that stem from childhood, then this is the book for you. This is the perfect book for an afternoon at the beach; it is short enough to be read in a few hours.

Her Neighbor
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
zynnyx_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zynnyx.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by zynnyx_ »

This sounds like an amazing book. Everyone is subject to change as they grow. Nice review.
:D
Night Reader 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-night-reader-1.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Night Reader 1 »

Great review. Looking forward to reading it.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Childhood friendships are genuine and usually mutually beneficial. Julliene and Daniel had a special relationship.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”