Review of Spinnaker

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Spinnaker

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spinnaker" by Sabato diVincenti.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The beginning of the Second World War terrified and devastated many people. Countless people lost their civil rights, homes, and family members. As we are all aware, the Second World War brought about one of history's worst tragedies, and the rise of Hitler and the Nazi Party terrorized everyone, but notably the Jews.

Spinnaker is a charming love story with elements of suspense and espionage woven throughout. It is a historical fiction novel written by Sabato diVincenti. The story revolves around the lives of Katarina and Karl, who met during the Second World War.

Karl, a German resident of the United States, enlisted in the US Air Force in 1939. He experienced a horrific crash while on a reconnaissance operation in the German borderlands two years later. Katarina and her mother coincidentally find him a few days after the crash, and they take him to their farmhouse. They care for him until he recovers. Meanwhile, the Germans noticed the crash and knew it was an American aircraft, so they began searching the area for him. Now Katarina and Anna must hide him from the Germans to avoid execution. How will they manage to do that? What will happen if they are discovered to be concealing an American pilot? Pick up a copy of Spinnaker by Sabato diVincenti to learn more.

This book was quite a thrill in the beginning. I enjoyed Karl and Katarina's love story. There were good days and there were definitely bad days. When Karl crashed in Aurich, which happens to be in the northern part of Germany, I thought all hope was lost. The area was filled with so many German soldiers that it felt like an impossible mission to escape. Katarina and her mother were just in time to save him from the impending danger. However, staying in their home was a bigger threat because Katarina's older brother Wilhelm was a high-ranking SS officer, who was a ruthless nazi and a strong supporter of Hitler and the Third Reich. On many occasions, he randomly stormed into their home, trying to look for the American pilot. He ordered different search parties just to find him.

The author created a story that was progressive and not static. I liked how Karl and Katarina faced dangerous situations together and always thrived. After Karl's recovery, he joined the underground movement and gained access to infiltrate the German army in order to get classified information for the Allies. That was a very risky job, and I was always nervous when a situation arose in the camp. I admired the author's attention to detail when talking about the military. I even wondered if he was in the military because of how well he illustrated the missions and war-related issues.

However, there were a few things I did not like in this book. The first few chapters were engaging and suspenseful, but after a while, there was no excitement. There was no character development, and the conversations were so predictable and redundant. The characters were vaguely described, and this led me to wonder what they actually looked like. At some point, the conversations became repetitious. I could guess what a character would say next. Another thing I observed was how easy it was for Karl to get serious things done. I expected more tension and drama, but everything was just predictable.

After careful consideration, I would give this book a rating of four out of five stars. The reason I deducted a star is because of the dislikes I mentioned earlier and the fact that it was edited quite professionally.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy espionage, war, and romance novels.

Spinnaker
View: on Bookshelves
Oluwa Tomisin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwa-tomisin.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Oluwa Tomisin »

It's so nice of Katarina and her mother to take Karl in after the crash.
I wish more people could be this nice and hospitable, this sounds like a very interesting book and thank you for your nice take on it. Welldone.
Conrad Writes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conrad-writes.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Conrad Writes »

It is nice to see that a good thing came out the crash and that Karl and Katarina's relationship seemed very authentic. I look forward to reading this book. Nice review.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

This book sound interesting. Though I'm not the fan of this kind of book your review has made me fall in love with the book. Good job.
oluwaseunskippo
Currently Reading: The Three Betty Goats Griff
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by oluwaseunskippo »

Good 👍
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Agbata Trust »

But then I still wonder how people would be falling in love when there is something serious going all. I would love to read how they cope considering the situation.
Pamela S 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pamela S 1 »

It’s so nice to see that even when serious situations are going on there’s still good people that are open to help other. I’m looking forward to read this book
Ayilaran Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayilaran-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Ayilaran Emmanuel »

When you know the punishment attached to your actions and you still decide to go on with your decision... That a high risk, thank for this honest review, I was just getting interested in the book until I got to the 6th paragraphs, but this is a lovely review.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

The storyline seems interesting and filled with suspense. It must have been hard for Katarina and her mother to hide Karl who is supposed to be their enemy. Great review.
Charles Babbage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-babbage.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Charles Babbage »

I've not read this book but your review was so inspiring and I think I've gotten am insight to what the book is all about and what it entails.
Comr Steve miracle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comr-steve-miracle.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Comr Steve miracle »

I liked the romantic spices between Karl and Katarina, it was very unique and realistic. Even to someone who has never opened this book, your review would still be comprehensive to them.
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

Nice review, it's a shame the excitement dissipates a little after the first few chapters as we'd normally expect it to build instead.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

I wonder how Karl would survive living in an area filled with German soldiers, who are after his life. But I might pass on this one, considering the fact that it was predictable.
Nathaniel Sarah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-sarah.html

Post by Nathaniel Sarah »

I hope the Germans won't be able to find Katarina and Anna. I enjoyed reading your review. Good job.
Charles Babbage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-babbage.html

Post by Charles Babbage »

I always like to read about history and this book is one that is very rich in it. I love the concept of this book as it teaches the reader alot

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”