Review of A Fool's Journey

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of A Fool's Journey

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Fool's Journey" by Anira Barrock.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I​n one of her poems, Anira Barrock asks this question, "How does one find something they don't have the confidence is real?" Her 200-page memoir, A Fool's Journey, records her life-long struggle to discover true love and to determine if there is such a thing. We meet newborn Anira in 1979, the firstborn American in a large, loving Cuban family. We learn about her earliest boyfriends, crushes, marriages, and affairs. Barrock honestly shares intimate details of her accomplishments and failures.

A​ll of the chapter titles include a different Tarot card. The author performs psychic readings in conjunction with her career as a psychologist. Barrock has a doctorate and worked for many years as a school counselor and as a business consultant. These experiences give depth to her interpersonal monologue. I found it interesting that she sought advice from both psychics and therapists.

I read that this book contains romance, deceit, religion, and hard truths. That summary was accurate. Anira did indeed have many romantic adventures with many different men. Her escapades were both humorous and sad because they often included deceiving another spouse. Spirituality is first described when an angel appears to Anira in the chapter titled "Harrie." As she matures, her metaphysical gifts seem to increase. The harsh realities of her life often include the assumption that she is putting out negative energy that causes bad things to happen to her.

M​y favorite part of the book is that the author uses writing as a way to cope with her conflicting emotions. The cathartic release she acquires is evident in her poems and copies of text messages that she wrote and did not send. As this is a technique that I also use, it was easy to relate to the author, and I was glad that it helped her to find closure.

M​y least favorite part of the book occurred about midway through when the world was going through the pandemic. This is also when Anira begins another affair. This time she is convinced that he is her soulmate or twin flame. The tone of the book becomes very desperate. There are many poems about finding true love.

I​ do not know much about Tarot cards, but I learned that the fool represents one who trusts in the universe. Readers who are curious about the journey of such a person should read A Fool's Journey. The book contains minimal errors; it is a quick read, but there are some semi-erotic scenes. My rating is four out of five because the second half of the book became tedious. I wish that there was an epilogue where I could learn what happened to her family when the book was published.

A Fool's Journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

It’s too bad the writing became tedious because otherwise it sounds like an interesting life shed has. Thanks for a great review!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Booklover Becca wrote: 06 Mar 2023, 11:50 It’s too bad the writing became tedious because otherwise it sounds like an interesting life shed has. Thanks for a great review!
I appreciate your comment.
Tamara Bengesai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

This seems to be an interesting storyline. What has put me off is the use of tarot cards which I don't believe in. Otherwise it is a good review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”