Review of Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hannah Hampton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-hampton.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Knowledge by Terence H.Young

Review of Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley

Post by Hannah Hampton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley" by David Jay Weinberg.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Scrooge’s Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg is a romantic drama about theater, ghosts, and the timeless impact of literature. This book chronicles the adventures of Andrea Smilow, an aspiring playwright. Her passion and ambition are unmatched, which land her a number of opportunities to display her creative brilliance. Andrea could have predicted her success in the theater industry due to her talent and hard work. What she could never have guessed, however, were the ties she would develop to a group of people she previously believed to be fictional characters—including Jacob Marley.

My favorite part of this book was the dialogue. Weinberg has a way of bringing characters to life through their interactions with others. This made scenes with dialogue extremely engaging and fun to read. I found myself deciding which characters I liked and disliked through these points in the book. Beth was my personal favorite. I greatly appreciate how, even though she was not the main character, she was given a complex background and a spunky personality that I loved to read about. I also enjoyed how fluid the characters were. Certain people initially appear trustworthy, but end up double-crossing other characters. This prevented any of the characters from appearing stale or predictable.

Something that I found distracting in this novel was the sheer amount of subjects and characters that it covered. Ghosts, magic, and God herself all make an appearance in this plot, and I wonder if the story could have been read just as effectively if certain supernatural stipulations were less detailed. Additionally, there were several parts of this novel that seem like a summary of events rather than a fully rendered narrative. The events themselves link together into a cohesive plot, but I would have personally loved more detail in many significant plot points rather than simply being told that something major had happened. I also found several spelling and formatting issues.

Sensitive readers should be aware that this book contains depictions of sex, birth control sabotage, and a miscarriage.

Although certain parts were unexpectedly heavy and dark, this book was still relatively light-hearted. Overall, Scrooge’s Folly - Saving Jacob Marley was a fun and relatively fast-paced book. I would recommend it to lovers of Charles Dickens, Christmastime, and unique romance stories. Ghost lovers and those interested in theater will also enjoy the subject matter. Due to the editing issues and reasons described above, I rate this book a 3 out of 5 stars.

Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley
View: on Bookshelves
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

This is an interesting and well thought of review. I would love to try out this book and know more about the fascinating things in it. This is an interesting storyline.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

This seems like a fascinating concept for a book, though wide variety of subjects does sound like a bit much. Thanks for the informative review!
Adeoluwa Adebusuyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeoluwa-adebusuyi.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Adeoluwa Adebusuyi »

This is a good and well written review. You captured all the important components of the book and I would definitely love to try out this book. Well done.
mahdi shaleh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mahdi shaleh »

الكتاب جيد ولكن يحتاج الى بعض التعديل مثل مشاهد الاحياء لايجب ان يكون للشخصيات التي تختفي لاتعود الشيئ الافضل ايجاد حل لهاذه المشكلة وستصبح افضل انا افكر في الموضوع لأعطيك الحل عندما اجد الحل سأعلمك من على فوري ياصديقي

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”