Review of Against The Ruin

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Review of Against The Ruin

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Against The Ruin" by Dana G Devine.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Aurora, an author, is about to go on a book tour. She is required to take along a few bodyguards to both protect her and monitor her vitals, as she has a heart condition that could be fatal. Her three guards are on a mission of their own to take out several targets along the tour route. They are working for a man who is bent on taking down child predators. One of these guards, Mack, falls deeply in love with Aurora. Will Aurora, who is still healing from the loss of her husband, be able to reciprocate Mack's feelings? Will the secret mission succeed without Aurora finding out? Check out Against The Ruin by Dana G Devine and find out!

The characterization in this book was excellent. Aurora is a multi-dimensional woman. She is sad because of the loss of her husband; however, she is able to push forward with the help of those around her. As the book progresses, she begins to work through her sadness and pursue her goals with an unrelenting passion. She also interacted with Mack in a realistic manner. Everyone else was swooning over him, as he is a conventionally attractive man, but Aurora didn't seem to notice at first because of her grief. This caused their relationship to develop naturally instead of simply being a whirlwind romance. Having a strong woman as one of the leads of this book was my favorite part.

The only dislike I had of this book was the pacing. The main conflict was resolved around two-thirds of the way through the book. The last third, while still interesting, lacked the action that drove the first part of the book. It felt like it should have been the beginning of a sequel rather than an ending.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I am taking away a star due to the pacing issues. I thoroughly enjoyed all other aspects of this book. The themes of justice, love, and destiny drove the plot and character development. I also only noticed a few minor errors; I believe that this book was professionally edited.

This book is primarily a romance, but there are scenes of action sprinkled in. There is sexual content and strong language throughout the book; it is only suitable for adults. There are also some religious and spiritual elements in the book, but having a background in religion is not needed to enjoy this book. I believe the ideal reader is someone who enjoys a mix of romance and action and is not opposed to mentions of religious and spiritual ideas.

Against The Ruin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

It sounds like the guards had no plans of harming Aurora but they might have unintentionally put her life in danger. Thanks for the review!
Ignesta Ignetius
Currently Reading: A Dream for Peace
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ignesta-ignetius.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis

Post by Ignesta Ignetius »

Thanks to your review, I can tell that this book will make an excellent read because it has an intriguing plot. I'll be sure to add it to my bookshelf. Great review 👍
Taiwo Faith 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Taiwo Faith 24 »

There is always a push to read more when there is a good review. This review is like to trigger to know what happened in this book
:) :D :hand:
Ebara Anoekom
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebara-anoekom.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Ebara Anoekom »

I absolutely love this book because of how it thought a person that one needs to not dwell on the sadness, use the help of others when they offer the help to lift you from the sad or dark side you are in. One thing I did not like about the book is how they rushed the plot
:escribir:

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”