Review of The Martyr Tides

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review of The Martyr Tides

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Martyr Tides" by Penelope Austin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Despite having no recollection of her past besides a few disturbing flashbacks, Eddi has manifested an idyllic life for herself in the beautiful Florida Keys. Working two jobs and spending her downtime with her best friend, Cal, she is content. But after her bizarre interaction with gorgeous, albeit strange, Ronan, her world is turned upside down.

If that wasn’t enough, Eddi feels like she has been reeled into the twilight zone; after a near-death experience, she is inundated by the presence of paranormal creatures, such as shapeshifters and vampires. Then, Cal reveals some shocking secrets that shake Eddi to her core. Her own identity is in question, and Eddi wonders what it all means.

The Martyr Tides: Book One by Penelope Austin is a paranormal romance story with a quirky cast of otherworldly characters. The book is told from the first-person perspective, following Eddi as she falls in love with Ronan, despite the complicated circumstances. Besides the burgeoning romance and mystery surrounding the sea creatures, the book boasts a vibrant landscape of sand, greenery, and the alluring ocean.

It’s not often that I read paranormal romance stories, but this book was a pleasant surprise. Eddi and Ronan’s sizzling hot encounters were elevated by the otherworldly aspect. Between their telepathic abilities and Ronan’s mesmerizing green fin, the lovemaking scenes were unconventionally erotic. And, of course, the forbidden nature of their relationship made the writing even more intoxicating.

The book was exceptionally edited, and overall, I enjoyed Eddi and Ronan’s love story. Still, there were a couple of things that I disliked. The first thing was the overuse of the word “crotch.” Eddi’s character made several references to it when describing her desire which took away from the erotic aspect rather than adding to it. Another was that the font was unbearably small, and the spacing between lines was almost non-existent. Despite trying to rectify the problem, I had to settle for squinting. This could have been an isolated issue with my computer, but it hindered my reading experience either way.

I have chosen to give the book a rating of four out of five stars. I deducted one star due to the abovementioned issues. Still, it was most praiseworthy because of the chemistry between Ronan and Eddi buttressed by the paranormal elements.

I recommend The Martyr Tides: Book One to readers who enjoy steamy romance stories inspired by supernatural characters. Further, due to the Florida Keys landscape, the book gives off a beachy vibe which would bode well with readers looking for a summer read.

The Martyr Tides
View: on Bookshelves
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Lovely review. I think I'd love to read this book.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Amir03512
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Amir03512 »

I love this book
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

Interesting review. Since you mentioned font issues, it is in my curiosity to know in what format you had the book.
Fabbie Woods
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabbie-woods.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fabbie Woods »

I appreciate the vivid imagery you described. Keep up the great work. :techie-studyingbrown:
Words seduce and pages ignite passion. Let's get lost in the tantalizing world of literature together.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”