Review of My Dream Lover

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Review of My Dream Lover

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Dream Lover" by David Navarria.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Robert Bryant is a genius and excels in both academics and sports. During his high school years, his parents, his little sister Emily, and Robert moved to a small town in Ohio. Robert became close friends with another football player, Roger, and Emily befriends Roger's little sister Coral. Coral develops a crush on Robert, but he ignores it due to their age difference. Flash forward several years, and Robert is a well-accomplished physicist, and Coral has grown into a lovely young lady. Robert realizes that perhaps he has feelings for Coral, though she does have a boyfriend at that time. Will they both be able to admit their feelings for each other? What happens when tragedy strikes? These answers can be found in a copy of My Dream Lover by David Navarria.

This book moved along at a fast pace, which I quite enjoyed. From the beginning, the characters were well-established, and their wants and desires moved the story along. Navarria also had a way of combining genres that fascinated me. At the beginning of the book, the focus is on Robert's struggles to hide his intelligence to fit into society, which had it feel like a coming-of-age novel. Then the focus is more on the romance as Robert grows up. The second half of the book introduces some sci-fi themes. All the genres were well-blended together, and this was my favorite part of the book.

The only minor issue I noticed with the book was some of the writing was a little simplistic. The descriptions were often a bit lacking, with Navarria simply stating how the characters were feeling or doing. I think that this aspect of the novel could use a little bit of work.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. The excellent plot and characters made me unwilling to put the book down. I am taking away one star due to the lack of descriptions. However, apart from that, I enjoyed everything about this book and have no reason to give it a lower rating.

I recommend this to readers who enjoy romance books that include bits of sci-fi and coming-of-age genres mixed in. It might also intrigue those who have a special spot in their hearts for the 1950s, as that is the starting point for the novel. This book is also rather short, making it perfect for a rainy afternoon or a day on the beach!

My Dream Lover
View: on Bookshelves
Chris Agbara
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Chris Agbara »

Great review! I love how the author blends different genres in the book, and the well-established characters seem to add to the story's pace. Although some writing aspects could use improvement, I think I would give this book a try. Thanks for the recommendation!
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

Hi Laney, thanks for sharing a wonderful review. I just need to know the length of the novel.
Laney K
Currently Reading:

Post by Laney K »

Chris Agbara wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 14:52 Great review! I love how the author blends different genres in the book, and the well-established characters seem to add to the story's pace. Although some writing aspects could use improvement, I think I would give this book a try. Thanks for the recommendation!
Thanks for reading my review, I hope you enjoy the book if you end up reading it!
Laney K
Currently Reading:

Post by Laney K »

Francis Kapola wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 06:42 Hi Laney, thanks for sharing a wonderful review. I just need to know the length of the novel.
Thanks for stopping by! The book was about 180 pages so rather short and easy to get through.
Ama Ra Chi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-ra-chi.html
Latest Review: Mama I Owe You Nothing by Simmer Breeze

Post by Ama Ra Chi »

A beautiful one on romance. Nice review 👏
Hydee1437
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hydee1437 »

I love books that already establish the characters so i have nob problem identifying thrm. I love the book and the author really did a nice job.
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

The book caught my attention due to last paragraph of the review. Mixing of romance and sci-fi is a rare combination. Hope I will be able to enjoy the book as much as you did.
Greyson8235

Post by Greyson8235 »

As someone who is deeply in love, I really enjoyed this book. I also admire the love of the two characters Robert and Coral. Putting myself in the story, I don't think I can be brave enough to be ready for such love.
Saleth Mary Syntica H
Currently Reading: Island games (mystery of four quadrants)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saleth-mary-syntica-h.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Saleth Mary Syntica H »

It was a great review, especially when it comes to the descriptions it is largely needed to be, as it helps to widen our imagination.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

I enjoyed the plot as well as the characters. Despite the lack of descriptive elucidations, I would love to read the story, especially the romance bit. Great work!
Fateme_____________
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fateme-ataei.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Fateme_____________ »

Thank you for sharing your review. The storyline appears to be a bit predictable and outdated. Perhaps the author could have utilized their writing abilities to make it more engaging. It seems that blending various genres in the narrative was well done, but the descriptions may have been lacking in detail.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”