Review of Old Friends

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Review of Old Friends

Post by Temi Book »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Old Friends" by William McDonald.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

William McDonald’s novel, Old Friends, comprises 34 stories of elderly people that focus on themes of love, friendship, and romance (not sensual). The heartwarming stories in this book will deeply touch your soul. In the first story, Rebecca and Franklin, who were once a couple, have Alzheimer's and have forgotten each other. However, the most beautiful thing is that they never forgot the most beautiful physical feature about each other. Rebecca has beautiful eyes, and Franklin has a lovely smile.

The second story centers around two dogs: old Jim and young Murphy. Murphy meets Jim under a tree and, seeing Jim's tired and aching state due to arthritis, gives him treats and water and runs for him. This story highlights the importance of caring for the elderly. Other stories are letters from children to their parents with Alzheimer's, and some are reminiscences about their deceased partners.

Love is a beautiful feeling that makes you feel whole and not alone in this world. It need not be romantic; it can come from a friend, partner, pet, or even a random stranger. This book highlights the painful effects of Alzheimer's, where one watches their loved one fade away, unable to remember them or share memories.

The different stories in this book are moving, but some touched me more than others. One story is about a man who gave up walking due to fear, and a young boy kept reminding him to take a few steps, gently encouraging him not to be scared of aging. Another story, "Too Old to Love," teaches that even if couples are aging and approaching the end of their days, it's still beautiful to fall in love with their partner repeatedly. The author encourages senior citizens to remind themselves that they are aging, not old. When they keep thinking they are old, it brings sadness, but reminding themselves of their memories and hope makes the journey more beautiful.

Reading the deep thoughts of senior citizens about their deceased partners in this novel made me realize that if heaven had visiting days, many people would visit their soulmates. There is nothing to dislike about this book. It is a short read with 125 pages, and it teaches valuable lessons. The best thing parents can leave for their children is good memories rather than money or property, ensuring they are never forgotten. There's nothing I disliked about this, and it's exceptionally edited. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it to people who love to read good love stories. As the author implies, help a senior citizen today!

Old Friends
View: on Bookshelves
Park Cherri
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

This is a beautiful review you’ve written. Everyone will later grow old, but I hope we all grow old with good and beautiful memories of people we love.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

I think I'm enthralled by Rebecca and Franklin's story. Can't imagine how difficult life must've have been for the pair. It's a good thing they still recognize each other through some physical traits.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

From this review, "Old Friends" by William McDonald is an interesting collection of beautiful love stories. The part that caught my attention involves the Alzheimer patience. Thanks for the review.
Max Tiffany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-max-tiffany.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Max Tiffany »

Good memories last longer and are cherished. Alzheimer's can have a painful effect however, when love leads, love can ease the painful effect. Nice review. Rebecca and Franklin are strong and their story is touching.
Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prince-oyedeji-oyeleke-jayeola.html
Latest Review: The Targeted Fictional Trilogy by DJ Chris

Post by Prince Oyedeji Oyeleke Jayeola »

I don't really know much about Alzheimer but from
your review it's not a suitable condition. Well-done on a well written review.
Ogidor Chinasa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogidor-chinasa.html

Post by Ogidor Chinasa »

"Old Friends" by William McDonald is a heartwarming collection of stories that explores themes of love, friendship, and the impact of aging. The book beautifully portrays the deep connections and enduring bonds between individuals, reminding us of the power of love and compassion. Great review.
Ogidor Chinasa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogidor-chinasa.html

Post by Ogidor Chinasa »

A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah is a captivating memoir that chronicles the author's life and his involvement in the Algerian independence movement, showcasing the resilience and determination of the African people in their fight against colonialism. What stands out about the book is Dr. Berrah's unwavering commitment to peace and his belief in the power of dialogue, making it a truly inspiring read. Great review
Nnena Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nnena-blessing.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Nnena Blessing »

The delightful collection of tales "Old Friends" by William McDonald addresses the effects of aging, love, and friendship. We are reminded of the strength of love and compassion by the book's exquisite depiction of the strong links and enduring connections between people. Wonderful review.
Anabel Mack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anabel-mack.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Anabel Mack »

Non sensual stories are really my kind of stories. The author made this book one that would make the readers feel something.
Emmylovesbooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmylovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Emmylovesbooks »

From this review I discovered everyone needs love no matter the age or position they find themselves . This is a great review and it has reminded me of the value of old friends .
Tari egai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tari-egai.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Tari egai »

The review is truly lovely and highlights the importance of love for human development, regardless of age. It's heartbreaking to think about the impact of Alzheimer's disease, which can cause people to forget their loved ones.
Jane Honda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Jane Honda »

As usual your review is amazing. I really like this book it's amazing, including the themes. The word love comprises of alot of things this book
Jane Honda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Jane Honda »

As usual your review is amazing. I really like this book it's amazing, including the themes. The word love comprises of alot of things this book is worth reading. Thanks for the beautiful review.
Favour Chiedozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-chiedozie.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Favour Chiedozie »

This book tells a lot of wonderful stories, and they were touching. The part that caught my attention the most is the Alzheimer's. The painful effect of how the love they had for each other fade away, and not able to remember some memories. The reviewer did a good job.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”