Review of Tragedies of Modernity

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brian Ruguru
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Review of Tragedies of Modernity

Post by Brian Ruguru »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tragedies of Modernity" by Frederick W. Sonpon.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Niffu Town, located in remote Liberia, traditions must be followed, and taboos are feared and avoided. While elders govern the village, the gods have the final say, and no one dares to challenge their decisions. In a community where cattle have outgrown the few people, women must till the lands, look after the households, and respect the men. Two brothers sire children, Tesio, a boy, and Gmasnoh, a girl.

Despite the hardships in the village, Tesio and Gmasnoh beat all odds to receive scholarships to study in Monrovia. As if the stars are shining above them, they further receive studentships to study medicine in the United States. In a state of upholding cultural norms, or possibly naivety, the two cousins take oaths that none of them is to fall in love with outsiders and not before reaching 25 years. However, life outside their localities is much more advanced. The world is changing, and the heart is a mysterious organ in matters to do with love. While in the United States, they do the opposite and fall in love with outsiders. The gods don’t take it lightly when oaths are violated! A grave punishment awaits them should they not reconsider their decisions— even death! What will Tesio and Gmasnoh do?

I loved how Frederick portrayed Niffu Town. The roads had no vehicles; men saw women as household workers, and education was superfluous. Moreover, there was a striking disparity between Niffu and the United States.

We see the problems of living beyond your means. Though indirectly, the author showcases the need to be financially literate. I enjoyed reading about Dr. Williams and Dr. Scott and their successful careers. They say, “Love is blind.” Tesio and his cousin took oaths and understood the repercussions of breaking them. Nonetheless, their hearts lead them astray; they forget that the gods are watching.

However, Tragedies of Modernity by Frederick W. Sonpon had its downsides. First, the errors began from the starting page until the last. At some point, I had to rephrase the words of a sentence for it to make sense. Wrong tenses and prepositions made it impossible to devour the book with ease. Therefore, it is not professionally edited. In addition, I disliked the predictable plot, as I could project what would happen next. The conclusion was anything but surprising. For the lack of editing, I give the book 2 out of 5 stars. Once it is edited, I recommend it to romance lovers and readers interested in African traditions.

Tragedies of Modernity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”