Review of A Reason to Live

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Review of A Reason to Live

Post by Emily Meadows »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Reason to Live" by Jen Shaffer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Reason to Live: A Paranormal Romance" by Jen Shaffer is a captivating book that offers elements of the supernatural and romance in a steamy narrative. The story introduces us to two unique protagonists, Ava and Michael, whose connection transcends the ordinary. Ava, a blind medium with the remarkable ability to see and communicate with ghosts, carries the burden of constant spectral encounters. The author does a wonderful job of portraying her struggles and her resilience in managing this supernatural gift. Michael is a veteran and a U.S. Deputy Marshal who also has a supernatural gift, but it is one that he suppresses.

Michael and Ava meet when Michael’s twin, Martin, brings them together. The minute they meet, they realize how important they are to each other; they are destined to be together. Michael is Native American; his background and the local Native American culture add a layer of richness to the story. Together, they begin investigating Ava’s mother’s murder, which is an unsolved crime. Soon it becomes clear that Ava’s life is in danger; her mother’s killer is after her as well.

I really enjoyed reading this book. The author’s writing style is engaging, making this a hard book to put down. The paranormal aspects of the story are believable and well integrated into the plot, adding a layer of mystery and suspense. I especially appreciated that the characters in the book are both humans and ghosts. All of the characters play a role in the story.

The author made an interesting choice when writing the climax of the story, where they narrated it in the past tense rather than the present tense. This lowered the intensity of what could have been a scary scene. As a reader who doesn’t love scary stories, I appreciated this choice. However, other readers might be frustrated that the story is told this way.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. The story was engaging, and it was very well edited. I liked the pace of the narrative; it moved quickly and didn’t linger too long on anything. I also appreciated the paranormal elements. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy spicy romance novels. This book is full of sexy scenes, so readers who don’t appreciate them may not want to read it. I would also recommend this book to readers who are open to the paranormal. If you don’t believe in ghosts or enjoy reading about them, this isn’t the book for you.

A Reason to Live
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ohmy Book
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: You Can Heal Your Life
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohmy-book.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Ohmy Book »

I do like a good paranormal romance with smut so this sounds really good. Thank you for this wonderful review!
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”