Review of Strand of Faith

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1655
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: The North Factor by Ben Schneider
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Review of Strand of Faith

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Strand of Faith" by Rachel J Bonner.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“When the choice is between love and life, how can anyone decide?” Rachel J Bonner’s first book in the Choices and Consequences Collection is Strand of Faith. The story is set in a post-apocalyptic future where people with mental abilities are called adepts. Saint Peter’s Abbey is a compound that has a special school that taught young adepts how to control and use their gifts. However, nightmares for an adept can cause mass devastation, especially if they sleepwalk. Brother Prospero assisted in stopping a sleepwalking student who exhibited telekinesis and pyrokinesis. However, when he caught Leon, he discovered the boy’s secret. Leon was a girl. Why was she hiding her gender?

Meanwhile, Lord Gabriel was experiencing dreams of precognition, showing Leonie no longer living in the abbey. In his visions, he saw two different results. One showed peace, but a shared grave for Prospero and Leonie was being tended to by Prospero’s closest friend, Andrew. The second vision showed Prospero and Andrew still part of the monastery, but in a world of death and destruction that caused everyone to suffer. His visions disturb his conscience.

Strand of Faith is full of vivid detail and suspense. Different characters' perspectives, aside from Leonie, Prospero, and Lord Gabriel, were shared. The initial interaction between Leonie and Prospero appears innocent. Andrew's reservations about Prospero and Leonie spending time together make sense, given the story's context. Andrew’s ability to keep a secret was admirable.

I have nothing negative to say about this book. I could connect with each individual, and the transition between each view was seamless. It was unique that Leonie’s view was shown in a first-person narrative. Likewise, all the other characters’ views are in second-person. This gave strength to Leonie’s importance in the story. I predict her actions will have a major effect as the series continues.

I rate Strand of Faith five out of five stars. The editing is perfect, as I found no errors. Every character is well-developed, and their interactions are realistic in depiction. The telepathy, precognition, visions, and pyrokinesis abilities are detailed, which makes it easy to envision their effects. The end leaves an opening for limitless possibilities for the sequel.

Strand of Faith will appeal to readers who enjoy dystopian romances. The book lacks profanity, and beyond a few light kisses, there are no explicit scenes. It is appropriate for middle school students and up because of its relatable actions and simple vocabulary. I look forward to continuing the series.

Strand of Faith
View: on Bookshelves
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

This sounds like a great opening book for a series. I'm interested in the powers of the adepts and how they are depicted by the author - it's great that you were able to envision them from the narrative. I'm also interested to know more about Leonie and Prospero’s interactions.

A great review.
Zwelihle_Myeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelihle-myeni.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Zwelihle_Myeni »

I love reading books that are written in 1st person as they allow me to feel every emotions the character is feeling at anytime. From your review, I believe this book will be worthy of any reader's time. Thanks for a recommendation.
reginakingola2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by reginakingola2 »

I loughed loudly when i was reading this book especially when read about Leon,leon was caught and discoverd that he hiding are gender she was a girl why hide your gender thats funny
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 2401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The opening question is fascinating. And there's something eerie about things that happen in our sleep translating into real-world events. I don't know if that's officially a trope, but I've read it in a couple of books, and it never fails to spook me. Thank you for your review.
MercyNdungu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercyndungu.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by MercyNdungu »

Stephanie Runyon wrote: 20 Sep 2023, 18:55 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Strand of Faith" by Rachel J Bonner.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“When the choice is between love and life, how can anyone decide?” Rachel J Bonner’s first book in the Choices and Consequences Collection is Strand of Faith. The story is set in a post-apocalyptic future where people with mental abilities are called adepts. Saint Peter’s Abbey is a compound that has a special school that taught young adepts how to control and use their gifts. However, nightmares for an adept can cause mass devastation, especially if they sleepwalk. Brother Prospero assisted in stopping a sleepwalking student who exhibited telekinesis and pyrokinesis. However, when he caught Leon, he discovered the boy’s secret. Leon was a girl. Why was she hiding her gender?

Meanwhile, Lord Gabriel was experiencing dreams of precognition, showing Leonie no longer living in the abbey. In his visions, he saw two different results. One showed peace, but a shared grave for Prospero and Leonie was being tended to by Prospero’s closest friend, Andrew. The second vision showed Prospero and Andrew still part of the monastery, but in a world of death and destruction that caused everyone to suffer. His visions disturb his conscience.

Strand of Faith is full of vivid detail and suspense. Different characters' perspectives, aside from Leonie, Prospero, and Lord Gabriel, were shared. The initial interaction between Leonie and Prospero appears innocent. Andrew's reservations about Prospero and Leonie spending time together make sense, given the story's context. Andrew’s ability to keep a secret was admirable.

I have nothing negative to say about this book. I could connect with each individual, and the transition between each view was seamless. It was unique that Leonie’s view was shown in a first-person narrative. Likewise, all the other characters’ views are in second-person. This gave strength to Leonie’s importance in the story. I predict her actions will have a major effect as the series continues.

I rate Strand of Faith five out of five stars. The editing is perfect, as I found no errors. Every character is well-developed, and their interactions are realistic in depiction. The telepathy, precognition, visions, and pyrokinesis abilities are detailed, which makes it easy to envision their effects. The end leaves an opening for limitless possibilities for the sequel.

Strand of Faith will appeal to readers who enjoy dystopian romances. The book lacks profanity, and beyond a few light kisses, there are no explicit scenes. It is appropriate for middle school students and up because of its relatable actions and simple vocabulary. I look forward to continuing the series.

Strand of Faith
View: on Bookshelves
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Rachel J Bonner's book, "Strand of Faith," from the Choices and Consequences Collection. Your review provides valuable insights into the story and its various elements.

It's clear that you appreciated the vivid detail and suspense in the book, as well as the seamless transitions between different character perspectives. Your observation about the unique narrative style, particularly Leonie's first-person perspective, adds depth to her character's importance in the story.

Your five-star rating and praise for the book's flawless editing, well-developed characters, and detailed portrayal of supernatural abilities highlight its overall quality. Your mention of the open-ended conclusion setting the stage for a sequel is also noteworthy.

Your description of the book's suitability for readers of dystopian romance, its lack of profanity, and its accessibility for middle school students and up is helpful for potential readers.

Overall, your review is comprehensive and positive, making it an informative recommendation for those interested in exploring "Strand of Faith" and continuing with the series
Ohmy Book
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: You Can Heal Your Life
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohmy-book.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Ohmy Book »

I love a book with detail and suspense. Thank you for this great review!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”