Review of Deceptive Calm

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Deceptive Calm

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deceptive Calm" by Patricia Skipper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Prepare for tragedies and victories, losses and wins, births and deaths, and a love story spanning years. Deceptive Calm by Patricia Skipper opens with the violent racism common in some parts of America in the 1960s. It follows the story of Vanessa Cordon and the lives intertwined with hers.

Suffering heartbreak, the loss of her mother, and her own near-death experience, Vanessa changes her name and identity and moves to somewhere new. She becomes successful both in her career and personal life. However, it becomes the deceptive calm before the storm as her nightmare unfolds before her. Many loose ends remain; all it might take is one curious detective to discover the truth.

This book was very well written. Nothing about it was predictable, as it did not follow the typical pattern of romance books. I found it easy to follow the plot and the characters' lives, especially Vanessa's. My favorite thing about the book is the author's portrayal of each character. Without seeming too contrived, each character would elicit a particular emotional response, whether positive or negative, from the reader. These could have been real people who lived real lives, and it felt like the book took its direction from the characters and not the other way around. They were realistic, and I could easily understand them, even in their mistakes and failures.

The author's descriptive ability is commendable. I could picture the scenes; it was like I was present during each scene. The tension ramped up towards the end of the book with some adrenaline-pumping moments and during scenes where it was uncertain how things would go. It made the book very entertaining to read.

This book also contains many details of American history, making it more enjoyable for Americans. However, anybody familiar with the part of American history covered in this book can still read and enjoy it.

There were a couple of time jumps in the book. There would be a lot of time spent describing one particular event or action, and then we would fast forward a couple of months or years to another scene, which would then be described in detail. I found the spacing quite erratic, but it was not enough to reduce my enjoyment of the book.

People who had been on the receiving end of racism would relate well to this book. On the other hand, it might be triggering for some. There was also a description of sexual violence. Readers triggered by that might also want to read with caution.

There were some errors, but not enough to be distracting. However, because of the number, I would remove a point and recommend another round of professional editing. Therefore, I'd rate it 4 out of 5 stars. Other than the spacing issue, I found nothing to dislike about this book. I'd recommend it to lovers of historical fiction, especially American history, and romance.

Deceptive Calm
View: on Bookshelves
Cherrie Rosaldo
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Favorite Book: David's Sling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrie-rosaldo.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Cherrie Rosaldo »

You sure enjoy reading it. Keep it up.
MercyNdungu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercyndungu.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by MercyNdungu »

Nzube Chizoba Okeke wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 23:09 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deceptive Calm" by Patricia Skipper.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Prepare for tragedies and victories, losses and wins, births and deaths, and a love story spanning years. Deceptive Calm by Patricia Skipper opens with the violent racism common in some parts of America in the 1960s. It follows the story of Vanessa Cordon and the lives intertwined with hers.

Suffering heartbreak, the loss of her mother, and her own near-death experience, Vanessa changes her name and identity and moves to somewhere new. She becomes successful both in her career and personal life. However, it becomes the deceptive calm before the storm as her nightmare unfolds before her. Many loose ends remain; all it might take is one curious detective to discover the truth.

This book was very well written. Nothing about it was predictable, as it did not follow the typical pattern of romance books. I found it easy to follow the plot and the characters' lives, especially Vanessa's. My favorite thing about the book is the author's portrayal of each character. Without seeming too contrived, each character would elicit a particular emotional response, whether positive or negative, from the reader. These could have been real people who lived real lives, and it felt like the book took its direction from the characters and not the other way around. They were realistic, and I could easily understand them, even in their mistakes and failures.

The author's descriptive ability is commendable. I could picture the scenes; it was like I was present during each scene. The tension ramped up towards the end of the book with some adrenaline-pumping moments and during scenes where it was uncertain how things would go. It made the book very entertaining to read.

This book also contains many details of American history, making it more enjoyable for Americans. However, anybody familiar with the part of American history covered in this book can still read and enjoy it.

There were a couple of time jumps in the book. There would be a lot of time spent describing one particular event or action, and then we would fast forward a couple of months or years to another scene, which would then be described in detail. I found the spacing quite erratic, but it was not enough to reduce my enjoyment of the book.

People who had been on the receiving end of racism would relate well to this book. On the other hand, it might be triggering for some. There was also a description of sexual violence. Readers triggered by that might also want to read with caution.

There were some errors, but not enough to be distracting. However, because of the number, I would remove a point and recommend another round of professional editing. Therefore, I'd rate it 4 out of 5 stars. Other than the spacing issue, I found nothing to dislike about this book. I'd recommend it to lovers of historical fiction, especially American history, and romance.

Deceptive Calm
View: on Bookshelves
Thank you for sharing your detailed review of Patricia Skipper's book, "Deceptive Calm." It's evident that you found the story engaging and appreciated the author's ability to craft complex, realistic characters. The portrayal of the characters and their emotional depth added to your enjoyment of the book, making them feel like real individuals with genuine experiences.

You also highlighted the author's descriptive skills, which allowed you to immerse yourself in the scenes and feel present throughout the story. The book's incorporation of American history added depth to the narrative and, while it may be particularly enjoyable for Americans, you mentioned that anyone familiar with the historical context could still appreciate it.

Your mention of time jumps and erratic spacing is valuable feedback, and it's good to know that this didn't significantly detract from your overall enjoyment. Additionally, your thoughtful consideration of potential triggers, such as racism and sexual violence, is important for potential readers to be aware of.

Lastly, your rating of 4 out of 5 stars, with a recommendation for another round of professional editing, provides a clear assessment of the book's strengths and areas for improvement. Overall, your review offers valuable insights for prospective readers and constructive feedback for the author
Kelvinna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinna.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kelvinna »

I appreciate the well-structured review. The author's excellent book and its intriguing title have piqued my interest, prompting me to add it to my bookshelf without a doubt.
Kelvinna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinna.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books A Second Kiss Goodnight (A Bedtime Story) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kelvinna »

The reviewer's critique stands out for me, appreciating both the well-written review, the rating given, and the recommendation provided. I must emphasize the quality of this piece, thoroughly enjoying the content while reading it.
Ohmy Book
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: You Can Heal Your Life
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohmy-book.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Ohmy Book »

I might not be able to handle this book, but thank you for your detailed review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”