Review of A Distant Voice in the Darkness

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Review of A Distant Voice in the Darkness

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Distant Voice in the Darkness" by Leela Dutt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"A Distant Voice in the Darkness" by Leela Dutt is a story about two individuals, Eleanor Larson-Bruun and Alec Jeckins, who met on a Friday night in college in the year 1972. The two form a connection, one that would persist for decades. We experience a strong relationship that endures heartbreak, ambition, long distance, family, and responsibilities.

We follow the main characters through the early stages of their adulthood, learn about their ambitions and family, and witness their intimacy grow, from meeting family to traveling to distant countries. I like the fact that the writer has a great knowledge of the locations explored in the book. The supporting characters are fully realized, especially with a good deal of their respective histories elaborated. The inner monologue of the characters is fairly engaging and doesn't stretch on for too long. The book dutifully explores the daily lives of the characters in the book, including their work habits and hobbies. These serve to give more life to the characters, but I must say that for the most part, they lapse into the mundane, dragging the pacing of the book to glacial levels. For a relatively short book, it did feel longer at certain periods. A bit of conflict could have served to remedy this issue. But overall, I would say that the author really made the characters, especially the immediate supporting characters, real in such a way that you could easily imagine them on their own adventures and daily lives. And for a romance novel, it doesn't lapse into a lot of the cheesy and childish dialogue and conflicts a lot of its contemporaries engage in.

I rate this book four out of five stars, just one star short for the pacing issues I mentioned. I spotted no errors, so it is safe to say that it is exceptionally well edited. I recommend it to people who enjoy a good slice-of-life romance novel with a happy ending.

A Distant Voice in the Darkness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
Samuel Falle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-falle.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Samuel Falle »

This review appreciated the book and applauded the author for doing a great job in creating it. Based on the pleasant impression the author's writing created, the reviewer also did well in making me want to include the book on my bookshelf.
Samuel Falle
Currently Reading:

Post by Samuel Falle »

This review appreciated the book and applauded the author for doing a great job in creating it. Based on the pleasant impression the author's writing created, the reviewer also did well in making me want to include the book on my bookshelf.
Samuel Falle
Currently Reading:

Post by Samuel Falle »

Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review suggests that "A Distant Voice in the Darkness" by Leela Dutt is a good read, with well-developed characters and realistic dialogue. However, it also points out the slow pacing as a minor issue. Overall, the book is recommended for those who enjoy slice-of-life romance novels with a happy ending.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”