Erotica or Romance?

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Erotica or Romance?

Post by mewsmash »

I was just curious what type of book everyone prefers. Would you rather read a steamy erotic novel, or an adorable romance? I'm not really a fan of either type, but I'm curious what everyone else thinks.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Post by NadineTimes10 »

An adorable romance, for sure. :D
scarletterayneauthor
Currently Reading: No Trespassing
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by scarletterayneauthor »

I like both and it depends what I am in the mood for at the moment.
nightnurse
Currently Reading: The Last Humans: Oasis
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nightnurse.html
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by nightnurse »

An adorable romance Erotica is starting to expand in to other genre hiding under a false cover I want my Sc-fi to be Sci-fi, I want my mysteries to be mysteries, I think erotica novels should be listed in their own genre and not included with romance I have just about stopped reading romances because of the erotica takes up almost half of the novel and now have watered down the content of the novel
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html

Post by mewsmash »

That makes a lot of sense. If a romance novel has a little erotica I'm okay, but otherwise I just give up on the book.
I enjoy hearing everyone's answers!
Adair McClain
Currently Reading: Madhouse
Bookshelf Size: 258
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adair-lee.html
Latest Review: Freefalling by Eme McAnam

Post by Adair McClain »

For me, it depends on how they're written. I can read either one as long as there is a strong female lead, and there's a lot of plot involved before the characters are in bed/love. That usually eliminates Harlequin for me, but not always. I read a lot of romance novels off of my mom's shelf growing up and learned what my preference was pretty quickly.
MissyLea83
Currently Reading: Sweet Surrender
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by MissyLea83 »

I am one who will read which ever one I'm "feeling" at the moment. I think it depends on what kind of escape I'm looking for. Which ever one I go for has to be written so that it isn't a one look and the characters are in bed together. I want to have a plot to the story.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

mewsmash wrote:I was just curious what type of book everyone prefers. Would you rather read a steamy erotic novel, or an adorable romance? I'm not really a fan of either type, but I'm curious what everyone else thinks.
Both are equally attractive, yet a steamy erotic novel typically finds its way into my hands! It depends on my mood.
JessieMarie84
Currently Reading: Tess of the D'Urbervilles
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessiemarie84.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by JessieMarie84 »

For me, it depends on the story. I like my romance regardless. More of Historial if we're going less steamy for romance. After reading two series in erotica area some of the more contemporary romance just seems blah at times. Then again, it has a lot to do with authors I like too. I guess I'm more of a "give me a good book with a good storyline that's fiction and romance" and I'm good. Now, I'm not into the dark erotica with the ones that have people that get kidnapped and the mysterious sexy kidnapper turns her on. Nope. I'm all for reading books with BDSM but not that stuff like that.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Nancy-83
Favorite Author: sylvia day
Currently Reading: Claim me
Bookshelf Size: 26
fav_author_id: 3447

Post by Nancy-83 »

I don't know if I could choose, cause I love ❤ both categories. I love to read a steamy erotic, depending on my mood I guess. But romantic love stories are good to read when I'm kinda in a mushy, crying mood...
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I like a little bit of both. Granted I am not too familiar with the erotic side of romance novels, other than Fifty Shades, and some harlequin romance novels I read when I was a kid. I tend to go straight for the romance, but I do like some steamy scenes in my romance as well. I'd be up for any recommendations, if anyone has any!

Romance novels I am a fan of tend to be more on the YA side. I love the Twilight novels, and The Selection series is another one I really liked.

Aside from FSOG, the only other romance novel I've read is Making Her His, by Lucy Leroux. I liked parts of it, but overall felt it was kind of cliché. I do have a soft spot for controlling, possessive male love interests though...
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Adorable romance is always adorable but erotica has its own significance in life :wink2:. It totally depends on the mood and the ambience which one will be preferred at any instance of time. :wink:
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

It depends on the mood I'm in and the story itself. I find that I love when a book has a lot of action with a mild romance line. I also like books that have a lot of action with a steamy obvious love line. I hate the books that are all about the romance. I dont want to read a book about boy meets girl, girl meets boy. They want to be together but something is wrong where they cant be together (illness, other bf/gf, distance, school, etc.), they overcome the obstacle and are together forever happily ever after. No. I know the basic line is this but I want it a little more rough, I guess. I want there to be possibly killing, a war. Really a darkness to the books makes it only that much better. I personally like Eve Silver. It's action packed but with one or two super steamy chapters within,.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by NicholsC97 »

I like a combo of both. Just smut isn't my thing but it does add drama in some stories. So dependa on a case by case basis.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It depends, really. I'm not opposed to erotica in my fiction, but I'd like it to be at least decently written, otherwise I find myself rolling my eyes at a lot of it. I usually prefer straight up historical romances, but lately I've found myself actually interested in erotica when it pops up.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”