Review of The Proximity Effect - Book 2

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Crimeline Hollywood by Thomas Collins
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Review of The Proximity Effect - Book 2

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Proximity Effect - Book 2" by Willa Meril.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Eden is a new cop who was assigned to be Shawn's new partner. Together, they work side by side to stop crime. The situations they find themselves in are dangerous, so focus is a top priority. When they begin to develop feelings for each other, Shawn becomes anxious about crossing that line with his new partner. He is worried about the distraction of developing a non-professional relationship with Eden. He had also recently lost his wife, who was also a cop. Will Shawn's grief and apprehension hold him back from pursuing Eden? Will their developing feelings distract them from the job? Read their exciting story in The Proximity Effect by Willa Meril.

The character of Shawn was my favorite part of the book. His struggles with grief felt relatable and gave his character depth. From the start, he was attracted to Eden. However, his sense of duty and responsibility, coupled with his grief, gave him reason to consider the consequences of a relationship. I enjoyed seeing his inner struggle, and it made me root for his character.

The pacing of the book was my main dislike. There were times when the action scenes went by so quickly that the stakes did not feel real. For example, one of their first cases was stopping a break-in. They were able to apprehend the offender in a few paragraphs. I felt as though this could have been a good opportunity to showcase a heart-pounding moment with the pair working together. However, it did not come across that way to me.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars. The pacing issues were significant enough that I feel they warrant taking off two stars. I believe if Meril had developed scenes of Shawn and Eden working a bit more, the added stakes would have made the book more compelling. However, I still enjoyed reading the book and seeing how Eden and Shawn's relationship developed. Fans of romance who also enjoy short action sequences would enjoy this book. Given the explicit erotic content, this book is only suitable for adults. The Proximity Effect, given its short length and fast pace, is perfect to read in one sitting.

The Proximity Effect - Book 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rashad Deniro Price
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

It can be disastrous when people failed to separate their private life from their work/professional life. I am interested in knowing how things turned out between Eden and Shawn, and if Shawn was able to maintain a clear focus of the assignment before them instead of being lost in romantic entanglement.
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Laney K wrote: 06 Jan 2024, 08:50 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Proximity Effect - Book 2" by Willa Meril.]

Eden is a new cop who was assigned to be Shawn's new partner. Together, they work side by side to stop crime. The situations they find themselves in are dangerous, so focus is a top priority. When they begin to develop feelings for each other, Shawn becomes anxious about crossing that line with his new partner. He is worried about the distraction of developing a non-professional relationship with Eden. He had also recently lost his wife, who was also a cop. Will Shawn's grief and apprehension hold him back from pursuing Eden? Will their developing feelings distract them from the job? Read their exciting story in The Proximity Effect by Willa Meril.

The character of Shawn was my favorite part of the book. His struggles with grief felt relatable and gave his character depth. From the start, he was attracted to Eden. However, his sense of duty and responsibility, coupled with his grief, gave him reason to consider the consequences of a relationship. I enjoyed seeing his inner struggle, and it made me root for his character.

The pacing of the book was my main dislike. There were times when the action scenes went by so quickly that the stakes did not feel real. For example, one of their first cases was stopping a break-in. They were able to apprehend the offender in a few paragraphs. I felt as though this could have been a good opportunity to showcase a heart-pounding moment with the pair working together. However, it did not come across that way to me.
Laney, this novel sounds like it has a very realistic plot. I'm not a romance reader, but I always enjoy the covers! I always wonder why other genres don't have as enticing covers! The character development and the conflict is appreciable here. I completely understand about the pacing. Depending on what the book is about, the pacing can have a significant impact, as it did for you. Great feedback for the author, however! I enjoyed reading your review! Until next time...
:tiphat:
McDonald Lauren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcdonald-lauren.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by McDonald Lauren »

Willa Meril's "The Proximity Effect" follows the gripping narrative of Eden and Shawn, two cops thrust into dangerous situations while battling their growing mutual attraction. As their partnership deepens, Shawn grapples with the boundaries between professionalism and personal involvement, haunted by grief from the loss of his wife. The book navigates the tension between their evolving feelings and the demands of their job, creating an enticing tale of suspense and romantic conflict.
Shireen Kaye
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shireen Kaye »

Having a professional work relationship with your partner and develop feelings for each other is hard.but this book is about falling in love and grieve
Aleena Augustine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Aleena Augustine »

After reading the review, I'm intrigued by the complex emotions explored in the book. I appreciate the honest critique, and despite the noted drawbacks, I'm curious to explore the dynamics between the characters. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: By The Rivers of Babylon by Mary Glickman

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

Based on the review, it appears to be a helpful review that provides insight into the book's strengths and weaknesses. However, the review suggests that the pacing issues might impact the overall enjoyment of the story. While the reviewer still enjoyed reading the book and appreciated the character development, it is unclear if this review would strongly motivate someone to buy the book. The book may be a good addition to a library for fans of romance and short action sequences, but potential readers should be aware of the explicit erotic content and the pacing concerns mentioned by the reviewer.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

Based on the review, The Proximity Effect by Willa Meril appears to be a decent read for fans of romance with short action sequences. The protagonist's struggle with grief adds depth to the story, making it relatable. However, the book suffers from pacing issues, particularly in the action scenes, which could have been more engaging. Overall, it receives a rating of 3 out of 5 stars.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”