Review of The Beloved

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: What I Hear When God Speaks by Allen J Brown Jr

Review of The Beloved

Post by Isaac Oh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Beloved" by Banks Hudson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Stories shape the world in the most phenomenal ways. The power of true human stories cannot be overemphasized. Banks Hudson's debut is a tale of the true joys of love, friendship, and family.

Structured into twenty-one chapters spread across 264 pages, the story follows Howard, a good-natured psychotherapist who falls in love with his client, Contessa Angelina, a professional helicopter pilot who seeks therapy for post-traumatic stress, alcohol addiction, severe depression, and panic attacks. The story is viewed from Howard's point of view, as he falls in love with her despite the fact that this is against the ethics of his field. Do they end up together or apart? What challenges befall them? Read up to find out.

The Beloved: A Psychotherapist Falls in Love With His Client is a story that opens readers up to a world where there is so much beauty embedded within love, friendship, and familial bonds. Readers can learn about the benefits of psychotherapy and the importance of fostering true communication in our interactions with others. The book is also big on introspection and self-reflection, and within the descriptions, it is easy to see the author's attention to detail. It also showcases the beauty of mutual love and the intimacy that subsequently follows.

While the book does a good job of elucidating the benefits of building meaningful relationships and is professionally edited, there is a substantial lack of the qualities that make any work of fiction spellbinding and absorbing. The characters are not intriguing or well-rounded in any way, but they are bland and boring, with no memorable qualities or dimensions. The dialogue was for the most part steeped in a lot of unnecessary and repetitive storytelling using words like “pause,” “smiles,” and “smiling back.” I have never seen this in any work of fiction. Those descriptions could have been written better. The plot is flat, boring, and possesses no gripping elements. I found myself struggling to finish reading this book. Dialogue is a reflection of a writer's skill and style. In this context, I believe both still need a lot of brushing up on. Wordplay is also a non-existent concept in this book. Overall, the book doesn't seem to adhere to storytelling or creative fiction techniques. It felt really bland and not interesting. These reasons are why I'm giving this book 2 out of 5 stars.

I don't recommend this book to anyone who is in search of entertaining fiction, and in all honesty, I don't recommend it at all because I did not enjoy it.

The Beloved
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ahed othman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Ahed othman »

The public's opinion on this review is diverse. There are some people who found the story interesting and enjoyed it and its touches on themes of love, friendship, and psychotherapy. Others who disliked the book considered the characters uninteresting, the dialogue repetitive, and the plot flat.

If you are looking for an entertaining fantasy story, this may not be the book for you. But if you are interested in themes of love, friendship, and psychotherapy, you may find some interest in this book.

I recommend reading more reviews to get multiple opinions before deciding to read.
Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minaxiben-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: Death by Chaos by Renaii West

Post by Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel »

Your review of "The Beloved: A Psychotherapist Falls in Love With His Client" by Banks Hudson provides a thorough critique of the novel, highlighting both its positive aspects and areas that could be improved.
Lisa P Cowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

I've heard that psychotherapist or therapists in general shouldn't have relationships with their clients. I believe this may be on the premise that these relationships are sometimes founded on vulnerability. I would love to see how this story goes.
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

While it is true that opinions on this book are diverse, it's important to consider that individual preferences play a significant role in determining how someone perceives a piece of literature. Some readers may have found the story interesting and enjoyed the thematic exploration of love, friendship, and psychotherapy. However, it would be unfair to dismiss the criticisms raised by those who found the characters uninteresting, the dialogue repetitive, and the plot flat. These aspects can heavily impact one's reading experience and detract from the overall enjoyment of a book. Therefore, it would be essential for potential readers to weigh both the positive and negative aspects before making a decision. Reading multiple reviews and understanding various perspectives can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the book in question. Ultimately, it's up to the individual reader to decide whether the book aligns with their personal preferences and interests.
Annalisa Whyte
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annalisa-whyte.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Annalisa Whyte »

This review is a good one it highlighted both the negatives and positives of the book
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review, Your detailed analysis highlights the author's skillful blend of science and marketing concepts, enriched by engaging personal anecdotes. It's encouraging to see the positive impact of real-world examples and the effectiveness of practical insights. Your thorough appreciation, including the absence of dislikes and recognition of the well-edited content, reinforces the book's value. Your 5-star rating and recommendation make a compelling case for readers!
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review, Your detailed analysis highlights the author's skillful blend of science and marketing concepts, enriched by engaging personal anecdotes. It's encouraging to see the positive impact of real-world examples and the effectiveness of practical insights. Your thorough appreciation, including the absence of dislikes and recognition of the well-edited content, reinforces the book's value. Your 5-star rating and recommendation make a compelling case for readers!
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

Thanks for this lovely review. I really hope Howard has found the one for him and they end up together.
Kristin Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Post by Kristin Cowan »

Therapist patient love stories always make me cringe
Christabel nmeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-nmeso.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christabel nmeso »

"The Beloved" didn't meet your expectations. It's a bummer when the characters and dialogue don't pull you in.
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”