Review of A Curate in Love

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily Meadows
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-meadows.html
Latest Review: Forever Young by Karma Wiederrick

Review of A Curate in Love

Post by Emily Meadows »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Curate in Love" by Richard Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"A Curate in Love" by Richard Hughes is a charming novel that follows the journey of Richard Hughes, a theology graduate from the University College, Bangor, Wales. The story unfolds as Richard starts his new job as the assistant curate at Mold Parish Church. As Richard begins his new life as a church leader, he remains connected to the love of his life, Ann Stephens. Ann is an avid and vocal atheist. As Richard grows in his job and deepens his ties to the community, he and Ann spend time together as frequently as they can manage. Adding to the complexity, Richard’s family doesn’t think highly of Ann, and Ann’s family doesn’t think highly of Richard.

Richard finds himself entangled in the complexities of both faith and love. The Mold Parish Church, also known as St. Mary's Church, has a rich history dating back to the 1490s. The pastor of the church is devoted to preserving its history, including morning and evening prayers, scarlet robes for the choir, and maintaining the ceremonial traditions of the past. Richard learns the previous curate left the job after one week, which gives him trepidation. But he continues forward with determination, committed to making things work professionally and personally. Do Richard and Ann find common ground that allows them to move forward together? Are they able to find an intersection between their love and differing religious convictions?

I enjoyed reading this book. The writing was descriptive and engaging, for example, on page 9, when the author describes someone as “an engagingly rotund Pickwickian figure in a diminutive pork-pie hat.” That sentence drew me into the story and made me hope for more sentences like it. The author kept the chapters short, rotating between happenings in the community, time between Richard and Ann, and historical information about the area and church. The narrative moved forward at a methodical but steady pace.

There were times in the book when I got lost in the well-cited but numerous references made. The author included more theological and historical details than were probably needed. For example, when Richard and his father found a church register that dated back to 1576, readers learned that the church register contained everything from the employment of a mole-catcher to marriages and baptisms. As a reader, I would have preferred more stories about Richard’s life than minute historical details.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I appreciated the writing, the history, and the tale of Richard and Ann. However, the book would have been slightly more enjoyable with fewer citations and more of the quirky, well-described stories interspersed throughout. This book would appeal to religious scholars, especially those who are interested in “The Book of Common Prayer” and its role in Christianity (which was the prayer book used in St. Mary’s Church). Readers who grew up in Anglican churches might also enjoy this book; the hymns, prayers, and rituals would feel familiar.

A Curate in Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

Should love survive all struggles? Or so we would love to believe. Richard and Ann are in love, but what about the difficulties around them, especially regarding their families? I'd love to see how this plays out.
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

I totally feel you! Sometimes authors can get carried away with providing too much historical background, forgetting the balance between info and storytelling .I mean, who wouldn't get a little overwhelmed when reading about a church history. Personally, I'm all for more juicy stories about Richard's life rather than drowning in minor historical facts.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

This review provides a positive perspective on "A Curate in Love" by Richard Hughes. The reviewer finds the writing engaging and descriptive, enjoying the portrayal of the main characters and their intricate relationship. The historical and theological references add depth but can be overwhelming for some readers. Overall, the book is recommended, particularly for religious scholars and those familiar with Anglican churches.
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review, Your detailed analysis highlights the author's skillful blend of science and marketing concepts, enriched by engaging personal anecdotes. It's encouraging to see the positive impact of real-world examples and the effectiveness of practical insights. Your thorough appreciation, including the absence of dislikes and recognition of the well-edited content, reinforces the book's value. Your 5-star rating and recommendation make a compelling case for readers!
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

I have read this particular story and all I can say is that it was really boring. The story was way too confusing. I got lost at a point while reading. Despite that I really liked Richards role in the story, the fact that he was a devoted curate was truly overwhelming.
Thanks for the review.
shama naser
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shama naser »

"A Curate in Love" by Richard Hughes is a captivating read with engaging characters and intricate relationships. The historical and theological references add depth but can be overwhelming for some readers. Recommended for religious scholars and Anglican church enthusiasts.
Christabel nmeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-nmeso.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christabel nmeso »

It sounds like "A Curate in Love" offers a thoughtful blend of romance and spiritual reflection, with a dash of humor. I'm glad you found the writing engaging and the pace stead.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.
Taiwo Hakeem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taiwo-hakeem.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Taiwo Hakeem »

Navigating love amidst family drama is definitely tough

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”