Romance/erotica couple with the healthiest relationship?

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revathy sw
Favorite Book: The Wind in the Willows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revathy-sw.html
Latest Review: Mithra by John M. Rattenbury

Romance/erotica couple with the healthiest relationship?

Post by revathy sw »

For me, a good relationship would have, of course, the very basic requirements like love, loyalty, respect and friendship. But I also think the best relationships are those in which the hero and heroine encourage each other to grow and step outside their comfort zones. I love reading romance novels in which you can see not only the individual growth of the hero and heroine but also their growth as a couple.
Keeping these criteria in mind, my favorite couples are Keira and Kellan from the Thoughtless series and Elena and Raphael from the Guild Hunter series. Both couples have a rocky start. In Keira and Kellan's case, especially, readers are likely to be put off because their relationship starts with Keira cheating on her boyfriend with Kellan. While there is no excuse for cheating, I still strongly believe that Kellan and Keira (especially in the third book, Reckless) have, perhaps ironically, one of the healthiest relationships I have ever read — good communication, no attempt to control or hold each other back in any way, constant love and support, mutual understanding, friendship, humor, passion... I could keep going.
It's the same for Elena and Raphael. Although Raphael, in the beginning, seems to think that Elena is, in some ways at least, inferior to him (her being a mortal and him being an archangel), with each book, we come to see him acknowledge, respect and root for Elena, admiring and loving her for the brave and skilled warrior that she is.

So, I'm curious to know: Which romance/erotica couple do you think has the healthiest relationship?
Just an average book-lover bumbling through life :tiphat:
M V 8
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by M V 8 »

Have you read the Innkeeper Chronicles? If you haven't I think the relationship the main character eventually gets in is one of the healthiest relationships I've ever read. Without giving any spoilers, they both clearly have respect for each other and the way the writers describe the banter between the two tells me that there's a sense of trust and comfort established.

Bonus is that we get to see them get closer with each book released and I find myself cheering them on.
Kristin Cowan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Post by Kristin Cowan »

It’s easier to say which do not have healthy relationships lol
revathy sw
Currently Reading:

Post by revathy sw »

M V 8 wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 23:15 Have you read the Innkeeper Chronicles? If you haven't I think the relationship the main character eventually gets in is one of the healthiest relationships I've ever read. Without giving any spoilers, they both clearly have respect for each other and the way the writers describe the banter between the two tells me that there's a sense of trust and comfort established.

Bonus is that we get to see them get closer with each book released and I find myself cheering them on.
I haven't read this series. I'm glad you introduced me to it. I love couples that banter. And, it seems they have a very healthy relationship too. I will most definitely give it a try. Thank you for commenting. :tiphat:
revathy sw
Currently Reading:

Post by revathy sw »

Kristin Cowan wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 01:37 It’s easier to say which do not have healthy relationships lol
You make a great point there. There are concerning red flags in almost all romance books. While some books do address these issues, there are others that tend to gloss over these issues in the name of love. Romance authors should definitely think more about the kind of messages they are sending their readers, especially the younger ones. Thank you for commenting. :tiphat:
Ambar Gill
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Finale
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambar-gill.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 42%

Post by Ambar Gill »

I wish this wasn't so hard to come up with but it kinda is. After some thinking, I think Rowan and Aelin have the healthiest relationship I can think of. They have a rocky start but they respect each other immensely and their relationship is built on friendship and trust. They push and encourage each other but never stand in the other's way. I think you'd like them.
They're from the Throne of Glass series btw!
Ambar Gill :angelic-flying:

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”