Review of Deceptive Calm

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aria Lako
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aria-lako.html
Latest Review: A Curate in Love by Richard Hughes

Re: Review of Deceptive Calm

Post by Aria Lako »

After reading this review of "Deceptive Calm" by Patricia Skipper, I'm genuinely intrigued and eager to dive into the story. The emphasis on the characters' struggles with identity, particularly Vanessa's journey as a black woman in 1968, seems like a compelling and thought-provoking theme. The mention of racial tensions and unexpected alliances adds an element of historical significance that I find appealing.

The characterization of Trisha as a standout figure, showcasing courage and unwavering commitment to friendship in the face of discrimination, sparks my interest. Sis Rosalie's eccentric personality and her role as a maternal figure, injecting humor and love into the narrative, promise a unique and engaging reading experience.

The positive comments about the book's editing and the enthusiastic five-star rating indicate a high level of satisfaction with the overall quality of the work. The reviewer's gratitude towards the author for sharing this impactful story further adds to the allure.

Overall, this review has convinced me that "Deceptive Calm" is a must-read. I appreciate the reviewer's personal connection to the characters and their endorsement of the book for readers who enjoy great stories. I'm excited to pick up a copy and explore the complexities of identity, friendship, and societal struggles in the pages of this intriguing novel.
Christabel nmeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-nmeso.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christabel nmeso »

The themes of acceptance and identity in "Deceptive Calm" really stand out in your review. It's fascinating how the book delves into the intricacies of race and friendship through Vanessa's journey. Trisha's bravery and loyalty sound truly compelling, and it's always a bonus when a character like Sis Rosalie can bring humor to serious topics. Your insights make it clear why this book is so engaging.
Whiney Jones
Favorite Book: The Movie Chair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whiney-jones.html
Latest Review: Riley Youngblood and the Passport to Santalamanchia by B. F. Martindale
2024 Reading Goal: 400
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Whiney Jones »

This book is quite engaging with really great themes. I learnt a lot from this review. Moreover, I'm yet to satisfy my curiosity. I think I have to dig into this book. Thanks for this great review.
:mrgreen:
Whiney Jones
Favorite Book: The Movie Chair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whiney-jones.html
Latest Review: Riley Youngblood and the Passport to Santalamanchia by B. F. Martindale
2024 Reading Goal: 400
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Whiney Jones »

This book is quite engaging with really great themes. I learnt a lot from this review. Moreover, I'm yet to satisfy my curiosity. I think I have to dig into this book. Thanks for this great review.
:mrgreen:
Kristin Cowan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-cowan.html
Latest Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Post by Kristin Cowan »

This book sounds like it captures the tensions during that time. I am just wondering why it is categorized under Romance...
Christabel nmeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-nmeso.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Christabel nmeso »

I completely love this review "Deceptive Calm" sounds like a powerful and thought-provoking book that tackles important themes of race, identity, and friendship. It's fascinating to see how the characters navigate through societal prejudices and the quest for belonging. Thanks for sharing this review.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

Thank you for your valuable insights about this book. You've explained about the book very well. I'll definitely add this to my reading list.
Rohith Kumar Pakala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rohith-kumar-pakala.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rohith Kumar Pakala »

Thank you for your valuable insights, your review built interest in me to read this book. Great information is given by you about the book, thank you for that.
Sapna Mallah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Sapna Mallah »

I totally loved this unexpected thriller! A genre defying romance? mystery? historical fiction? Whatever the genre, it was great! Truly a love letter to both Charleston SC and San Francisco, the author's details evoke a sense of place and history. A story about strong women as they navigate through the civil rights movements of the late sixties, sexism, romance, broadcast journalism, the American Civil War and touching on the difficult topics of abortion rights, interracial marriage and inequality. Lots of action too! Could not put it and finished reading in one day.
Yonia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Yonia »

The protagonist, Vanessa, struggles with self-acceptance and comes to terms with her identity as a black woman. A gripping tale of unexpected alliance tensions, in which Trisha, a white girl becomes an accidental victim.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”