Review of The Infinite Passion of Life

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Review of The Infinite Passion of Life

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Infinite Passion of Life" by D.J. Paolini.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Angelina Fabrizzi faced more than her fair share of misfortunes, but the financial insecurity following her husband’s untimely death sent her reeling. She had her godmother, Valentina, and godfather, Angelo, to provide wise counsel. Yet, the worries about an uncertain future made her lose her temper with a fellow passenger on the train to Rimini. The man in question, an American author named Benjamin LaRocca, was instantly smitten with the fiery beauty. Will this chance meeting change their lives forever? Why can’t Valentina let go of her misgivings about Benjamin? Can she keep her promise to Isabella, Angelina’s deceased mother, to protect her goddaughter at all costs? Find out in The Infinite Passion of Life, the first book of The Rock & the Rose saga by D. J. Paolini.

Paolini’s non-linear approach to writing made the storyline go back and forth in time. The present timeline featured Angelina and Benjamin’s story while the flashbacks unfolded their family histories. This strategy gave us a holistic view of the characters, enabling us to make sense of their actions and appreciate their bonds.

Larger-than-life and somewhat enigmatic, Valentina’s character remained the central pillar of this novel. She was the constant in Isabella and Angelina’s lives, her stern demeanor and fiercely protective nature belying her romantic notions. Her achievements, both in academia and law enforcement, were admirable.

Paolini authentically portrayed a patriarchal society, where the men tried to exert their influence on household matters and dominated their wives and daughters, essentially killing their spirits. I shuddered at the uncanny resemblance between the lives of Isabella and Angelina, both of whose fathers disapproved of their romantic entanglements and married them off to strangers. Thus, the cycle of abuse continued for the mother-daughter duo. Benjamin’s arrival was like a breath of fresh air in Angelina’s life, considering he wished to become her partner and not a mere protector.

The book was seeped in historical and cultural references, featuring the architectural monuments and the vibrant life of Rimini. The abundant use of Italian in the dialogues and the inclusion of Italian figures of speech further highlighted this aspect. Paolini masterfully depicted the clash between the American and Italian cultures. Angelina and Benjamin’s blunders due to a language barrier created several humorous instances. I also loved the contrasts between Italian and American idioms. I commended Paolini for incorporating a much-needed glossary for all the Italian terms he used.

Northern Italy created a lovely backdrop for the blossoming romance between Benjamin and Angelina. I loved the chemistry that developed in a picturesque setting of expansive beaches, bustling piers, quaint streets, and cozy restaurants. The utmost respect each had for the other’s feelings moved me.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the story and the overall vibes, I had a few complaints. Sometimes, Paolini described the same events from dual perspectives. Although this technique helped us know where each protagonist stood, it nonetheless made the storytelling somewhat repetitive and the pace slow. Also, the frequent switches in the timeline sometimes interrupted the reading flow.

Based on my reading experience, I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars, deducting a single star for the negative aspects I mentioned. I recommend this book to anyone who loves romance novels with historical elements. It will also be a perfect read for the fans of Love & Gelato.

The Infinite Passion of Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Biswajit Barman 1
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 91
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Biswajit Barman 1 »

"Angelina Fabrizzi's life takes a tumultuous turn in D. J. Paolini's captivating novel, 'The Infinite Passion of Life,' the first installment in The Rock & the Rose saga. Set against the backdrop of Northern Italy, this intricately woven tale delves into themes of love, loss, and the resilience of the human spirit.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

A love a non-linear storyline, the jumping between past and present is how my brain processes the world, so I love when novels take this approach. Romance also being one of my favorite genres, this sounds right up my ally.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”