Review of The Reluctant Governess

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Crimeline Hollywood by Thomas Collins
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 46%

Review of The Reluctant Governess

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Reluctant Governess" by Roger Kendall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Reluctant Governess by Roger Kendall follows the character of Anne. Her family had recently had to move after her father made some bad financial decisions. Anne, the middle child, felt helpless as she didn't consider herself to be beautiful like her older sister and, therefore, would never find a husband. She decides that her only option is to be a governess for a wealthy family. That way she will be able to earn some money and perhaps find a suitor. The only problem is her parents are against the idea and are convinced that Anne won't last a week. However, Anne is determined to prove them wrong, so she accepts an offer to be the governess to four unruly children.

Seeing the evolution of Anne throughout the book was fascinating. Being from a wealthy family, she was not used to working. This made it fun to see her struggle as she tried to fit into her new role as a governess. The children, three being boys, added an extra challenge for her as they were not well-behaved. Anne's character development is what made the book such an amazing read. Her nature also did not allow her to back down easily. She, as demonstrated by her determination to leave home and work, was determined not to allow others to mess up her life.

The only dislike I had regards the ending. Without giving away spoilers, I will mention that events wrapped up extremely quickly, to the point where I thought I was missing the last chapter. I feel as though Kendall should have written a bit more to flesh out the ending.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I am taking off one star for the rushed ending. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book otherwise and see no reason to rate it lower. The book only contained a few errors; I believe that it was professionally edited. As the book contains no explicit content or strong language, I believe that it is suitable for both teens and adults. If you enjoy historical fiction novels set in the Regency era that feature a strong female lead and romance, then you should check out The Reluctant Governess.

The Reluctant Governess
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

Wow! This review is amazing, the story itself even sounds better. I am curious about Anne and her adventure. But then I don't like books that the ending is unsatisfactory. Thanks for the honest review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”