Official Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to ...

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Re: Official Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to ...

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting romance novel about Lily, a young woman who was sold into slavery, but found a propensity for playing the piano. Her close friend who happens to be her "master's" son threatens her after he learns of her piano skills. Will these two fall in love or will their status affect their romance. While I am not a fan of romance novels, there are likely readers who will want to give this book a second look. Well done.
jeanmtdb
Favorite Book: Devil Among Us
Currently Reading: The Dragons of Chiroptera
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanmtdb »

Thank you for the great review. I am not a fan of romance novels but this book seems to be interesting. I read the free sample and it was easy to read. I liked the background information about the characters and that it includes some historically accurate descriptions.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

The plot is interestingly intriguing and I am looking forward to digging into this book to find out how smart and lovable Lily’s character is. She seemed to be a strong-willed woman who can stand up against anyone who will question her rights.
Chidera Ofoegbu
Currently Reading: Sword of the Spirit
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Chidera Ofoegbu »

Your review is quite insightful. Just that I may not read this romantic historical story due to sex scenes and their likes. :roll: The piano part alone got me interested to read it but I don't want to start what I cannot finish.
Thanks for this wonderful review.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

This was a very good book! An eye opener on how things worked during the Slavery Era. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Creole
Favorite Book: Tales from the Gray Area
Currently Reading: Trapped in Pairadice
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creole.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Creole »

Slavery in whatever form is painful and devastating. Lily's life seems to be rife with ups and downs, a reality in many lives. She seems to have a strength of character that, hopefully, will be her saving grace. Thanks for an honest review.
dm1971
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by dm1971 »

I like how the book cover portrays an interracial couple. Congratulations to the author for BOTD, and thanks to the official reviewer for crafting this insightful and detailed review.
Gbemisola Akinremi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Gbemisola Akinremi »

Very interesting read. I feel sorry for Lily, can't imagine being ripped from my mother, but I'm glad she survived the horror and how she found succor in playing the piano. Aside Lily, I would like to learn more about James. I definitely love romantic historical fiction.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Your rating seemed like a good call. I would have been confused too, especially after envisioning a character a certain way. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

This is a great review, well put together. I'll like to read this book as the plot is unique and I'm a fan of historical romance.
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Chess! A Beautiful Game for People of All Ages by Sinclair Wilkinson

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

This is a historical fiction set during the slavery era. Lily is a slave girl who found refuge in her master’s piano and friendship in her master’s son, James. I have read this book, and I absolutely loved it. I liked Lily’s character development and her journey towards recognition, love, and freedom.
aaahleymorgan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aaahleymorgan »

I love that your review is so detailed. Not only do you give a summary, but you also gave a balanced argument about the quality of the book's writing. I do admit I found the sudden changes in characters' tone as confusing and believe the editor corrected some areas by mistake. Like you, I would definitely recommend the book. The plot of the book is a good change of pace and theme from the more mainstream types given that it is historically based. Thank you for your review and thanks for reading my comment, everyone.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

This book sounds really good. It seems like there may be some happy and sad tearful moments in it! Thank you for the informative review.
Dylan921
Favorite Book: The Date Farm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dylan921.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Dylan921 »

Thank you for your very interesting review. I also enjoyed reading the Amazon sample. The book sounds amazing, a slave who falls in love.
Adebola11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Adebola11 »

This is a wonderful story that is exceptional combined with passion and deeply emotional.. Lily was just when her father took her away from her mother and sold her into slavery. She has no choice but to adapt, she pick interest in learning to play piano which belong to her master which she does continually for fourteen good years with no one seeing her... But one day her master's son discovered her secret and the punishment given to her by James set her on journey of freedom and love... It's a story that feels real and it explores slavery, friendship, love and freedom....

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”