Official Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to ...

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Official Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to ...

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

Horror, hope and wonder. These are emotions we feel as we journey through the different phases of life. I personally feel connected to Lily plight.
Amina Gure
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Amina Gure »

I loved this story coz it's romance and slavery it's lil bit dramatic but I wish I could finish the whole book by reading.
Ruth Frances A
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

A forbidden love, during an era in which interracial relationships seem taboo, and could result into death. The golden boy, and the slave girl who aspires to be more. What a story!! So much risk, so riveting, and demonstrates bravery. Lily has already lost so much, she must find her mother if possible. James, treading dangerous waters. They both are, how will it end? This is a great historical romance novel that will break hearts of the soft ones, and harden that of the unrelenting. The language is that of the era, and the current. Should not deter from the story. It is thought provoking and educative. Great book. Thank you.
Nkongho Tabot 1

Post by Nkongho Tabot 1 »

Ur review is actually emotional and touching it made me read the book and it's really good. For a slave girl fining freedom and she is just a character to fall in love with.
MULWANYI D

Post by MULWANYI D »

Wow indeed true love is hard to discover and as it is being said that love is blind, the fact that she was a slave didn't matter.Thanks to the writer.
Carly Sprout
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

After such a traumatic beginning, I hope our heroine has a much happier ending, though I'm unsure if I would have wanted it split into two or more books. The slave-master romance raises many issues, and I hope they are addressed and not romanticised. I hope James and Lilly have a genuine friendship, despite the context of their story. All in all, your review has me interested in the story and I'm ready to experience the full spectrum of emotions too.
Earlene Williams

Post by Earlene Williams »

Very interesting and I love to buy this book if it was in store its going to be a good book.
Aarya Gondkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarya-gondkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Aarya Gondkar »

I am in LOVE with this review, and it has encouraged me to read this book! I am a new reviewer here, so this really gave me an insight as to how to frame my next review, thanks! 💕
Divine Sara Tamboong
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Divine Sara Tamboong »

The story sound interesting, even I'm not much fan of this kind of story. I will give it a try to read this book. Thanks for your review!
Zand13
Currently Reading: Life, Loss and Love
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zand13.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Zand13 »

Hmm romance and slavery what a unique combination to say the least. Judging by the review it seems like an interesting read. I just hope they do not gloss over the horrors of slavery.
Triciat50
Favorite Book: The Luminaries
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triciat50.html
Latest Review: The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi

Post by Triciat50 »

Thank you for your review. I love finding a book of historical fiction that is Book One of a series. I'll download this one and look to see if there have been additional books written. I also appreciate your heads up about the accents of the characters-that does sound a bit confusing.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Intrigued by Lily's quest for her mother in "The Prodigy Slave," I'm captivated by the emotional rollercoaster—from horror to hope. And, the vivid characters make me eager to embark on Lily's journey and unravel the mysteries.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: What Makes You Feel Better That Starts With The Letter by Sienna L. Ambrose

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

It is so sad that Lily was taking away from her mother care and I wonder was her new environment presents to her and what he friendship with James was like. This seems to be an interesting storyline.
Mercy Wambui Ndungu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-wambui-ndungu.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Mercy Wambui Ndungu »

Acwoolet wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 11:58 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyone dreams of something, whether it be great or small the dream is there, even if we don’t allow ourselves to admit it. For Lily in the beautifully written novel, The Prodigy Slave: Book One: Journey to Winter Garden written by Londyn Skye, her dream to is find her mother, who’s arms she was ripped out of as she was to be sold at an auction. While seeking relief from her new surroundings, Lily discovers that she has a propensity for the piano. In this discovery she is able to find a bit of comfort and joy in an otherwise scary and cruel world.

Although Lily is trapped in the life of a slave, she is not without friends, one such friend being her master’s son, James. However, many years into their friendship he discovers her playing the piano, and to her confusion threatens punishment for her hideous crimes. Much to her surprise his “punishment” is the one thing that completely alters her life, throwing her on a dramatic journey with some people of great power. Throughout her journey, Lily is able to discover a love and passion that she had never felt before, and a freedom that she could only ever dream about.

I greatly enjoyed reading The Prodigy Slave; it possessed the ability to touch on all of my emotions. I felt horror while Lily was ripped out of her mother’s arms, hope when she found friendship in James, and wonder in her ability to play the piano. Lily was an easy character to fall in love with, she was so full of life that I felt as if we could be best friends. Written in the first perspective, occasionally the narrative would switch between Lily and a few of the other characters; however, I was never confused as to whose thoughts I was peering into. All of the primary and secondary characters were incredibly well written, even the most minor of character contained a backstory and motive. The “good guys” were so easy to love and the “bad guys” were so much fun to hate! Although the book is not a quick, one sitting read, I never felt as if I struggled to get through it and felt a little betrayed when it ended. It did leave on a bit of a cliffhanger, so here’s to hoping the sequel arrives soon!

The writing was exquisite and the dialogue drew me in immensely. While the punctuation had a professionally edited feel to it, there was one thing that threw me off a bit. Many of the characters, especially Lily and James, would switch accents. Such as, for a while they would speak in an abbreviated manner, “livin’, darlin’,” etc. then all of a sudden they would switch into a “proper” high society dialogue. The first couple of times that it happened, I was confused as to which character was speaking. I got used to it after a while, but towards the middle of the book it seemed as if it were happening every other page. While a bit confusing at first, I was still able to really enjoy the novel.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a romantic historical book full of adventure and hope. The book does contain a few sex scenes, although not too graphic in nature, I would probably recommend that the reader be over seventeen. Because of the switching of accents, I give The Prodigy Slave: Book One: Journey to Winter Garden 3 out of 4 stars. I would have liked to give it a 3.5 if that where possible and would whole-heartedly give it a higher rating if the characters didn’t switch accents back and forth.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on "The Prodigy Slave: Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye. Your detailed review gives a vivid picture of the emotional journey the protagonist, Lily, undergoes and the various elements that contributed to your overall experience.

It's evident that you connected deeply with Lily's character, feeling a range of emotions from horror to hope and wonder throughout her story. Your commentary on the well-developed characters, both primary and secondary, highlights the author's skill in crafting a rich and engaging narrative. It's refreshing to hear that even minor characters had depth and motive, making the storytelling more immersive.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie
Currently Reading: In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-kristine-dakoykoy-rennie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B0BNMD3CFC

Post by Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie »

It's interesting how the characters transitioned between colloquial and high society dialogue, adding a layer of complexity to the reading experience. I appreciate your honesty about the initial confusion and your ability to adapt to this unique aspect of the writing style.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”