Romantic book/novel

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jamibozz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamibozz.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Romantic book/novel

Post by jamibozz »

I can’t stand it when the male lead is a winy little brat. I read one book where all he did was complain about not getting what he wanted and how he didn’t know what to do as a king to defend his land... I was like NOPE! Give me the strong alpha type every time please!!
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

If a romance is too cheesy with no interesting plot besides the whole romantic thing.
pengy86
Currently Reading: After Ever Happy (After, #4)
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pengy86.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by pengy86 »

If I dont like the main characters, if the storyline isnt easy to follow or is too predictable or if the characters arent well developed. I want to feel engrossed in the story and if it doesnt drag me in, I just cant stick with it.
Ariel_Martin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arieljmartin.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti

Post by Ariel_Martin »

I generally get fed up with romance novels that lack communication between the main characters. If I find myself mumbling, "He/she cannot read your mind!" more than two or three times, I usually move on. Lack of communication is not a good plot line in my mind.
swims1215
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swims1215.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by swims1215 »

ArielJMartin wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 21:29 I generally get fed up with romance novels that lack communication between the main characters. If I find myself mumbling, "He/she cannot read your mind!" more than two or three times, I usually move on. Lack of communication is not a good plot line in my mind.
I totally agree! Also, the use of constant profanity is another reason I don't finish reading a book.
Micah versoza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Micah versoza »

I don't want to read a romantic book or novel when the plot is so cringe
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I agree with Essentially_Literate.
-Thea M. Frederick
OzzyQ

Post by OzzyQ »

A romance novel with a little taste of suspense of sex is a perfect one.
lukejbarnett

Post by lukejbarnett »

DakotaA wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 14:09 I agree with many posts on this forum. Most specifically with the 'insta-love' part. Book that have this tend to annoy me and are the only ones that I don't push myself to finish reading. I find that books that have this concept tend to lack realistic character interactions, and have little to no character development. I love a book where I can really connect with a protagonist, and in romance novels this is especially important or else I find it impossible to 'fall in love' with the couple.

Romance novels are supposed to make you feel something.. so I would hope more authors would take the time to create characters that invoke emotions in the reader other than awkwardness and cringing. When I don't get any other feeling from the book, I tend to put it down.
what romance books have you read?
zainab-18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by zainab-18 »

NicholsC97 wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 17:06 If the plot isn't well written or the main female lead is one of those screaming bimbos from the old horror movies. The stupidity that some books portray as the female lead makes me cry on the inside.
If the book doesn't at least have a good main character and editing I won't finish the first chapter.
I do agree with this. If the characters are not relatable and unlikable, it is so hard for me to make it halfway into the book. On the other hand, even if the plot is lacking but the characters are well-developed, I will read the whole book.
Priyankaaa18
Currently Reading: Thirteen Reasons Why
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyankaaa18.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Priyankaaa18 »

I hate the kind of books that are fast paced, I usually prefer slow burn romance type of books. At time I find it irritating or annoying when some cliche kind of things happens in book that are way too unrealistic. And I hate it when the female lead characters is way too girly and weak, I prefer strong and bold female leads.
After reading so many romance books at times I feel as if I can predict the whole story and it happens, I hate reading books with similar or same old storyline.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I love reading romance novels. What would stop me from reading a romance would be if the characters beat around the bush about their feelings to much. Or if there is any form of abuse in it. Those are the two things that I won’t have in novels that I read. But other then that I will read it all.
Alex_j

Post by Alex_j »

I definitely love reading romance books but if to much happens or if it is worded all weird and doesn’t give that same vibe.
Kayla Baloka
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-baloka.html
Latest Review: Your Soul Is Calling: Healing Our Ego Addiction by Jerry Hirschfield, Ph.D.

Post by Kayla Baloka »

When the guy or love interest is rude and disrespectful because of his “past” or when they’re a player. It makes me cringe internally.
Kayla Baloka
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-baloka.html
Latest Review: Your Soul Is Calling: Healing Our Ego Addiction by Jerry Hirschfield, Ph.D.

Post by Kayla Baloka »

When the novel ends with the characters getting married after only knowing each other for a few weeks! A few months are alright if their connection was well-written, otherwise I give it a year before they’re divorced.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”