Featured Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts

Discuss the October 2013 book of the month "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 352

Re: Featured Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts

Post by Tars »

Sounds tempting, kinda somewhat reminds me movie The Sixth Sense, which I wanted to see only because of Bruce Willis, but in the end was pleasantly surprised. Hope for repeat experience with this book.
pinchess07
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Zeva
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinchess07.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by pinchess07 »

I'm sure this book would be great for people who love reading ghost stories! The main character's innocent outlook on life is a refreshing twist too.
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3049
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a wonderful read. I would definitely love to read this book. It seems John had a lot of strength and determination within him otherwise he could not have made it thus far.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
RaeReads
Favorite Book: A Game of Thrones
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by RaeReads »

I'm a little confused to be honest; the story is called The Boy who Lived with Ghosts and there are ghosts in the story but the fact that the boy is a medium isn't the point of the story? I'm just not sure why the paranormal edge was added if the true focus of the book is the very serious subject of child molestation and abuse. It's an interesting angle to tell the story from the child's perspective, but it maybe would make more sense to me if John was looking back on his childhood and the true ghost that haunts him, his traumatic and abusive past. But I'll give it a read anyway to see if that clears things up for me :D
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. " - George R.R. Martin
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

This book sounds incredibly interesting, but I am not sure if I can handle some of the material. Reading about child abuse, especially when written from the point of view of the child, seems like a very hard read.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

Thank you for the review! After reading a sample of the book I thought it was another ghost story told from a child's perspective, but after reading the review, I can see it is so much more. I am both curious, and at the same time afraid of reading it (due to the abuse theme you mentioned)... Ghosts don't scare me as much as people hurting children... But, I am sure the book is worth reading, however!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

The paranormal aspects sounds intriguing. However, the issues of child molestation and abuse may be a bit disturbing for me. Thank you for the informative review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

THE BOY WHO LIVED WITH GHOSTS is described in a review. This story is about the childhood of John who got the experiences of different creatures like ghosts in his early life. When he was young he was encountered with ghosts and was haunted with ghosts but it is not a whole story. THis is a good review. I like it.
Seamstress
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85

Post by Seamstress »

Not my cup of tea, but paranormal activity fans will have field day with this one☺. Big bonus is sound plot and not all pure action.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

It would be interesting to see how the book can deal with disturbing issues and be humorous at the same time. Thanks for your review. Congrats to the author on the 4/4 rating.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I really like the some of writing in this review. This seems like an interesting; yet painful book. There's a thin line between reviewing and giving spoilers and you've reviewed this book perfectly. Definitely going to read it. Thanks!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kelsiemaxwell
Currently Reading: Home to the Harbor
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsiemaxwell.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B016PUQWMI

Post by kelsiemaxwell »

A humorous serious book that deals with disturbing issues such as child-molestation or abuse especially from a child’s perspective. Different. Thanks for the honest review.
“...a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

While I was expecting plenty of paranormal phenomena, I certainly wasn't expecting the other issues, such as child abuse and molestation. Since the narrative is told thorough a young boy's eyes, the story is even more heart-wrenching. Thanks for the insightful review.
lilac_coquelicot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by lilac_coquelicot »

Horror book but story is somewhat good.Its about johns childhood which is full of miseries and distress.its emotional book.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

This sounds like a book where I need to pick the right time to read it. It's not a book that I want to read over Christmas or when I'm feeling vulnerable.

Sounds like there are a lot of themes at work that you wouldn't necessarily put together.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:

Return to “"The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell”