The Movie vs. Book

Discuss the December 2013 book of the month, "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak
MissJane
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missjane.html

Re: The Movie vs. Book

Post by MissJane »

I have watched the movie some time ago and I read the book ages ago. I must say, the movie follows the book quite well compared to some of the other book to movie adaptations. However, the book has been and always will be my favorite, but that's just my personal opinion :D
teacher_jane1
Currently Reading: The Quiet American
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacher-jane1.html
Latest Review: "Leading Change From Within" by Brian Strobel

Post by teacher_jane1 »

I agree that the movie for this book turned out excellent! There were lots of places where the filmmakers could have skimped or glossed and chose not to. That said, it's impossible to translate a book exactly into a movie (they're separate art forms, after all!). Just like some movies would be lost by being made into books, books always lose bits of themselves where they are made into movies. So I say find the original piece of art and learn about it first, then explore other versions of it!
Latest Review: "Leading Change From Within" by Brian Strobel
kimg77
Currently Reading: Leaving Time
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimg77.html

Post by kimg77 »

I think books are always better than the movies, but I really enjoyed the movie as well.
avid reader28
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avid-reader28.html

Post by avid reader28 »

There's a lot of movies that turned into books, and vise versa. but I usually read the book first and then after a while I watch the movie or the movie first, but I make sure to separate them. I don't know, to me the book and the movie are totally separated experiences, even the movies that really turned into a big hit.
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

avid reader28 wrote:There's a lot of movies that turned into books, and vise versa. but I usually read the book first and then after a while I watch the movie or the movie first, but I make sure to separate them. I don't know, to me the book and the movie are totally separated experiences, even the movies that really turned into a big hit.
I'm with you! Usually, I try to read the book before watching the movie, but you can't always do that. Sometimes, a friend or family member shows me a movie I didn't know is based on a book, and I find out midway. Other times, my to-read list is so big, I skip the reading and go straight to the movie. When that happens, I try to look at the movie and the book as separate entities, because the movie director almost never makes a film 100% accurate (and, let's face it, our imaginations are-more often than not-waaay better than what 100 minutes of film can show.).
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
colemaba
Favorite Author: I can never decide
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21844">the hinger games</a>
Currently Reading: Enders Game
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colemaba.html
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams

Post by colemaba »

Generally the book is always better than the movie, but I haven't seen the movie yet. Is it any good?
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams
BlaqkViolette
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Glass Wall
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blaqkviolette.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by BlaqkViolette »

9 times out of 10 the book is always better, but I've not yet had a chance to watch the film. It has been ages since I've read the book, so hopefully when I manage to watch the film I won't pick the storyline to pieces!
Cdlafleur85
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdlafleur85.html

Post by Cdlafleur85 »

I have yet to find a movie that was better then the book. You just can't do everything you can in a book, or people change to much in the movie. I want a movie that follows the book. If I do watch a movie that is made from a book, its because I loved the book. I don't want something totally different.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I read The Book Thief a while ago. I wasn't sure if I wanted to see the movie or not since I really appreciated the way the book was written, however I did just see the movie and although it wasn't as good as the book, in my opinion, it was done very well. I thought it covered the important points in the book.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
meganxxcooper
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganxxcooper.html

Post by meganxxcooper »

I'm thinking about seeing it. I hope it'll be good!
makenna-16
Currently Reading: The Codex
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makenna-16.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by makenna-16 »

I think the book was better than the movie. I think the book portrayed death better and the characters were more full and complete, especially about the part when Max asked about whether or not he had the acordian and why it was so important.
Rizbi
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Spider's Web
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizbi.html
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rizbi »

The movie is not bad. It tried to be loyal to the book. But I personally think the book is slightly better than the movie. The language used, the beautiful prose - these provide a different complexity to the experience.
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
The Book Reviewer
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24175">The Knife of Never Letting Go</a>
Currently Reading: The Humans
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-book-reviewer.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by The Book Reviewer »

The book was loads better than the movie, as it had a more descriptive and insightful character of Death. I also got to love the characters more, and there were more highs in the book. The movie was great, but it was just a long roll of depression.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

I enjoyed the movie more than the book in this case. It was a complicated perspective to follow that was easier played out in color.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
litmonster
Currently Reading: Library of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litmonster.html

Post by litmonster »

I enjoyed both for different reasons. It's been a while now since I've seen or read either though. I remember the book I really enjoyed the voice of the narrator and was intrigued by Death's perspective. I feel like the movie left out some of the stronger emotions and bonds that I felt reading the book, but on the whole I think they did a pretty wonderful job with the movie.

Return to “"The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak”