Should Liesel and Max have been more than friends?(spoilers)

Discuss the December 2013 book of the month, "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak
The Book Reviewer
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24175">The Knife of Never Letting Go</a>
Currently Reading: The Humans
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-book-reviewer.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Should Liesel and Max have been more than friends?(spoilers)

Post by The Book Reviewer »

The book and movie finish with Liesel and Max being reunited, then Death talking about Liesel's life. There is only a mention of friendship, but would it have been better if Liesel and Max had had a relationship? Thoughts.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Yes, I would have liked it if they had gotten together in the end. Even though I loved Rudy dearly, Max seemed well suited to Liesel.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I thought that it ended perfectly. Their bond always seemed to be like a brother and sister. It was so deep and pure. It truly was delightful! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

No the innocence needed to be kept to have the most empathy for these characters. They were kids not adolescents already contemplating relationships and underlying meanings. They had enough on their mind with the events of the world around them going on.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
megsm07
Currently Reading: interrupted
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megsm07.html

Post by megsm07 »

Though I was disappointed by the ending (in that most of the characters of which I'd grown fond suddenly were no more), I felt that the relationships in the book were perfect. While I do wish that some of the relationships (like Liesel and Rudy) could have been developed a bit more and that they could have continued on rather than ending, I thoroughly enjoyed the book!
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Yes, it would have been nice if they had gone into business together. Maybe bought a Nathan's Hot Dogs franchise by the beach. Or surfboards, snorkels, and the like. Something beachy.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

If any element of romance was introduced into the book then it would divert the attention from the main message of the book which is the suffering during the Holocaust. I'm happy with the way it ended, not because everyone died, but because it really sent a message that no one was safe during this time.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

I think any romance between Liesel and Max would have kind of cheapened the whole story. Too easy and cliche.
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

No way. Firstly, there was the age factor. In my opinion, Liesel was much too young to be in a romantic relationship with Max. Also, as Mike_Lang said, it would have been too much of a common cliché had there been anything between Liesel and Max. After Rudy's death, it would have completely broken my heart if Liesel had chosen someone, like Max. I know she married, but it was not necessary that she loved her husband before they married. We donot even know who her husband was, and he didn't play a role in Liesel's early life. In my opinion, Liesel should have loved Rudy and continued loving him. Also, it's not completely necessary to have a love triangle in every story. It's okay just to be friends sometimes. I think love triangles only lessen the value of otherwise, good plots, making them cheap and sort of desperate.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

The image of little Rudy trying to be Jesse Owens in the middle of Nazi Germany is such a beautiful, strong image... In some way that I can't quite explain Liesel getting together with Max in a romantic way would have been such a slap in the face to the memory of that beautiful little boy.
steampunk_girl
Currently Reading: Turned
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steampunk-girl.html
Latest Review: "The Tale of Lord Zancrist" by April Patterson Clemens
Reading Device: B00H8VUGVC
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by steampunk_girl »

I was disappointed with this part of the ending, but their bond can be deciphered as either a 'sibling' bond or 'more than siblings' bond. I feel that though many people were disappointed (including yours truly) they were too young to get into anything that would last. You can still believe that after a few years they got together and lived 'happily ever after' and all that crap but that is unrealistic. I've slowly been warming to the ending because even if its not what I would've liked, it does fit the book the best.
"It is what you read when you don't have to, that determines who you will be when you can't help it."
Latest Review: "The Tale of Lord Zancrist" by April Patterson Clemens
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

I liked the way the book ended. I felt like the age difference was too great for them to be romantically involved. I liked that it ended with Max and Liesel having the relationship they did so they could both find some normalcy and have each other to help recover from their tragedies so they could move on to more normal lives.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
abithacker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abithacker.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by abithacker »

I appreciated the fact that Liesel and Max didn't get together. I think that a romantic relationship between them would have been forced, especially since their relationship felt like that of a child and adult, and there was a significant age difference. I think it also gives the reader some closure: the fact that Liesel was able to move past the tragedy and find love beyond her initial relationships.
"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think" ~Albert Einstein
ShelbyFOB
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ShelbyFOB »

They did share a strong bond, but considering the age difference I doubt they would end up together.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I felt like they were going to end up together, which I didn't much agree with because of the age difference. Plus, after Rudy was killed, I didn't care whatsoever who Liesel married and I certainly didn't want to like him!

Return to “"The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak”