Should Liesel and Max have been more than friends?(spoilers)

Discuss the December 2013 book of the month, "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak
RoxieRoxFox
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Should Liesel and Max have been more than friends?(spoil

Post by RoxieRoxFox »

I was a fan of a possible Liesel/Max relationship, post-war. In the book, it ends somewhat ambiguously. I read a review by the author, who said that it was up to the reader's interpretation. So, in my mind, they lived happily together for the rest of their lives.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I think that they are better off as siblings because it seemed like there was a pretty big age gap. I can see why it looks like they were heading towards being more than friends, but I can't imagine it. I thought Liesel and Rudy would end up together.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai »

I kinda thought Liesel and Max were headed in that direction anyway. They obviously would be better as more that friends. They get along well, and have genuine affection for each other.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

It was one of my questions after watching the movie. I was curious about the nature of their bonding. Both the scenes where Max leaves the Huberman household and after bidding goodbye to others kisses Liesel on the forehead, and where Max and Liesel were reunited made me think that they would be more than siblings. In fact, in the last scene, the mention of 'friendship' made me feel a little disappointed. However, in the book, they always felt like brother and sister. That portrayal of their character never left any space for doubt. I don't know if it was just because I had since learnt to accept the fact that they were nothing more than siblings or because the author made their chemistry as siblings more realistic.
Mehwish Mohsin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mehwish Mohsin »

It was one of my questions after watching the movie. I was curious about the nature of their bonding. Both the scenes where Max leaves the Huberman household and after bidding goodbye to others kisses Liesel on the forehead, and where Max and Liesel were reunited made me think that they would be more than siblings. In fact, in the last scene, the mention of 'friendship' made me feel a little disappointed. However, in the book, they always felt like brother and sister. That portrayal of their character never left any space for doubt. I don't know if it was just because I had since learnt to accept the fact that they were nothing more than siblings or because the author made their chemistry as siblings more realistic.
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

Yes! I wanted them together the whole time. I don't care about the age difference. Even though the author confirmed that Liesel and Max don't end up together, he did say he doesn't mind if people ship them anyways. I'll choose to do that:)
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I never thought about that possibility. I think it would have been a little forced, since the story was not about that. It was better the way it actually ended, at least that's what I think.
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I agree with how the book ends. I think there were more important themes in this book and a different relationship might have distracted from them. I also think that there is a distinct lack of good friendships in young literature and I would love to see more friendships like that of Max and Liesel.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

I love the ending of the book. They are like siblings. The ending was perfectly fine with me. Max and Liesel were already lucky enough to have seen each other again despite the tumultuous time they were in and the "race" difference that separates them. I already find it ideal to some degree especially they live in Nazi Germany.
Pushing for them to become more than siblings is pushing it too much.
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

I think it was more realistic that as children they were acting as close friends and had a more brother-sister bond. It made his death even more moving that Liesel had this "what if" mentality.
Daniya-Shah57
Currently Reading: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Daniya-Shah57 »

Romance between Liesel and Max would have change the whole vibe of the story. I believe they were better off as friends. He was more like an elder brother to him.
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

I think Max was above all most people's favorites. since at the end she is an adult the 20 year age difference isnt so bad. it would be cute since he was a Jew that she saved during the war when her family was German.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I think their brother-sister relationship is already perfect in the book. A romance between them would have been too predictable and cliche.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I think I agree that they felt more like brother and sister, so it was better that they were not involved romantically.
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

I feel like if there was a second book that they would deffinatly be cute together. Since at the end, she is all grown up and her family killed. So he is the last thing she could call family.
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost

Return to “"The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak”